Coolant for 2011 WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Coolant for 2011 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all, I did a search and couldn't find a thread about recommended coolants. I just got MY FIRST SUBIE! ...

Coolant for 2011 WRX

Hey all,

I did a search and couldn't find a thread about recommended coolants. I just got MY FIRST SUBIE! a couple days ago. I need to fill up on coolant, so I was wondering if there is a specific brand that is superior to the rest. Also, do I need to drain the coolant that's in there now before I replace it? Or can I just add the new coolant to the old coolant?

Thanks,
    JK03

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Head to the Subaru dealer and pick up their coolant, follow their recommendations.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Subaru coolant only. You don't need to drain it you can always just add it. But why do you need to add coolant. Did you lose some? Is it leaking?
    Also remember that you should add coolant when the engine is cold for proper reading.
    Unless you have enough miles on to where the coolant service should be done

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Stinkeye member 520

No leaks or anything from the vehicle inspection it went through prior to my purchase. I think it's just normal depletion of coolant.

Still you shouldn't have any loss of coolant. If you bought it used though there's always that chance the last owner lost some or spilled and never bothered refilling. You should be alright though
    What year and how many miles?

Stinkeye member 520

J/k about the year.. lol

Stinkeye member 520

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    Still you shouldn't have any loss of coolant.
    There is routinely white residue on the overflow tube at its point nearest the plastic overflow reservoir at the nose of the car. This can only be one thing.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    There is routinely white residue on the overflow tube at its point nearest the plastic overflow reservoir at the nose of the car. This can only be one thing.
    White residue? ?

Stinkeye member 520

I Support ClubWRX
    White residue?

Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Man I have no clue..have my seen that before. I'd suspect the cap though since it's right there you know?

Stinkeye member 520

I Support ClubWRX
    My car does not have a cap there at all; it only has one radiator cap, not two. Yet the white residue is present on my car also. It always has been. The overflow container is not sealed, and the coolant has a substantial % water. Since the temperatures are elevated it isn't unreasonable to expect losses -- evaporation via the opening through which the black overflow tube enters the reservoir. This opening is not sealed. Over time I'm betting these losses add up and once in a while, an owner might have to add coolant. The system has a pressurized and an upressurized "side" and the upressurized side is "open" by default. In fact there is no overflow tube out of the reservoir; in the event an overfill under high temp and pressure results in an overflow, the excess liquid will exit along the same path as the vapours that result in this residue -- up the top and along the black tube until either dripping or condensation occur.

Even more astounding, the owner of the above car does not exist. Despite alleged "sightings" and "footprints," there are no actual data to document the existence of Sasquatch.

All this isn't to say the OP doesn't have a massive, actual, unintended coolant leak. However adding coolant isn't unusual.

My car does not have a cap there at all; it only has one radiator cap, not two. Yet the white residue is present on my car also. It always has been. The overflow container is not sealed, and the coolant has a substantial % water. Since the temperatures are elevated it isn't unreasonable to expect losses -- evaporation via the opening through which the black overflow tube enters the reservoir. This opening is not sealed. Over time I'm betting these losses add up and once in a while, an owner might have to add coolant. The system has a pressurized and an upressurized "side" and the upressurized side is "open" by default. In fact there is no overflow tube out of the reservoir; in the event an overfill under high temp and pressure results in an overflow, the excess liquid will exit along the same path as the vapours that result in this residue -- up the top and along the black tube until either dripping or condensation occur.

Even more astounding, the owner of the above car does not exist. Despite alleged "sightings" and "footprints," there are no actual data to document the existence of Sasquatch.

All this isn't to say the OP doesn't have a massive, actual, unintended coolant leak. However adding coolant isn't unusual.
    You learn something everyday
    Especially subarus.....seems like they're much different then what you're used to. Not conventional in any way. Like everything about them is another breed of car

Thanks for the lesson. I hope you don't mind me picking your brain

Stinkeye member 520

I Support ClubWRX
    Like mentioned earlier I'd check the coolant overflow tank when the engine is cold vs when it is warm on level ground. Coolant expands. So,if coolant is at the low mark when the engine is cold ,you'll see that it is near the high mark when the engine has warmed up.

2011s have 3 caps,1.radiator cap,2.overhead reservoir cap,3. Overflow tank cap.

PS. Only fill the reservoir with Subaru 50/50 super coolant. Do not touch any of the other caps. You'll introduce air into the system.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Like mentioned earlier I'd check the coolant overflow tank when the engine is cold vs when it is warm on level ground. Coolant expands. So,if coolant is at the low mark when the engine is cold ,you'll see that it is near the high mark when the engine has warmed up.

2011s have 3 caps,1.radiator cap,2.overhead reservoir cap,3. Overflow tank cap.

PS. Only fill the reservoir with Subaru 50/50 super coolant. Do not touch any of the other caps. You'll introduce air into the system.
    Unless you need to burp the system you open the overhead one...highest point. (Still need to do mine, and remember the procedure in the manual is pretty specific)
    But still SD brings some good information and a good point which is most likely the OP problem

You wouldn't happen to be a shop foreman would you SD_GR

Stinkeye member 520

I Support ClubWRX
    You wouldn't happen to be a shop foreman would you SD_GR

Oh no! I'm at the cutting edge of incompetence and should not be around tools or machines! I ask people on the forum for help and search threads etc. Very useful stuff here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.