Oil question ( I checked the sticky and couldn't find an answer on this)

This is a discussion on Oil question ( I checked the sticky and couldn't find an answer on this) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, first time poster and new owner of a 2011 wrx hatch back! I'll post some pics after work... ...

Oil question ( I checked the sticky and couldn't find an answer on this)

Hey guys, first time poster and new owner of a 2011 wrx hatch back! I'll post some pics after work...

Anyway, this may seem like a dumb question.

I bought the car used at 38,000 miles and the dealship said they were un-aware of what type of oil the original owner used. My question is, if I switch to a synthetic oil like amsoil, would it cause any leakage through my gaskets? I was told that if you use a low quality oil and then switch to a synthetic, the molecule structure is much smaller and you will have oil leaking out through all your gaskets.

Is this true and should I be concerned with switching oils?

Thanks so much in advance guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    AFIK, the car should have come from the factory with synthetic already in it.. it says use synthetic only in the manual, the previous owner probably used synthetic.. I would put synthetic in it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jitsu1 View Post
    Hey guys, first time poster and new owner of a 2011 wrx hatch back! I'll post some pics after work...

Anyway, this may seem like a dumb question.

I bought the car used at 38,000 miles and the dealship said they were un-aware of what type of oil the original owner used. My question is, if I switch to a synthetic oil like amsoil, would it cause any leakage through my gaskets? I was told that if you use a low quality oil and then switch to a synthetic, the molecule structure is much smaller and you will have oil leaking out through all your gaskets.

Is this true and should I be concerned with switching oils?

Thanks so much in advance guys!
    Well, the previous owner SHOULD have been using full synthetic from the beginning, since Subaru has required full synth in the WRX for quite a few years now. I'm not sure about the gasket question, but I've never heard that.

No need to use Amsoil. Valvoline Full Synthetic works great, is available everywhere, and is much cheaper.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

It should have been running Synthetic from the start, from the factory. So I think at that low of mileage, you'd be safe. Just stick with a good quality synthetic and you'll be fine. I wouldn't worry about any kind of leakage at 38k miles.

Many people run Shell Rotella T6 in 5w40...after many oil analyses, people find this to be one of the better ones. And its actually one of the cheaper ones.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Awesome

I really appreciate the feedback guys!

@Mikie13,

I live down here in FL, would the fluctuation in temperature from NJ to FL affect the oil viscosity you recommended?

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Unless you're going from FL to AK, or AZ to NJ, or racing; there's not a big need to change the viscosity.