brand new 2014 wrx code p0346 camshaft position sensor pls help
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on brand new 2014 wrx code p0346 camshaft position sensor pls help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; OK so i just bought a brand new 2014 wrx premium hatchback 3 months ago, today i was taking my ...

brand new 2014 wrx code p0346 camshaft position sensor pls help

OK so i just bought a brand new 2014 wrx premium hatchback 3 months ago, today i was taking my son for a drive and when I got on the highway I punched the gas because my kid likes to go fast. When I was shifting from 2nd to 3rd right at red line my check engine light came on and it was solid, and I noticed that the cruise light was blinking also. So i drove it back home without going over 3000 rpm because I wasnt sure what had just happened. So I get home and immediately plugged in my obd ii reader and got the code P0346 which seems to be the camshaft position sensor. I am not that much of mechanic, just simple weekend warrior stuff. So I tried to find more on the internet in forums such as this to see if it was just a sensor throwing a bad code, some sites said a change in weather can cause it to throw a code? I have no idea, and I am not sure if i want to clear the code yet, just in case the dealer ship needs to read the logged ecu data. It seems to be running and idling fine but I have not tried going above 3000rpms until I know what I should do next. Also it is still under warranty obviously, so maybe I should just bring it to the dealer, but if clearing the code fixes it then I can do that myself.

Thanks
    Scott

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

OK so now the check engine light went out as well as the cruise light. It seems to be driving just fine. Should I still take it in to have them look at it?

if your dealership is close by and you got the time for it I'd stop on by.

Quote Originally Posted by scottman5044 View Post
    OK so now the check engine light went out as well as the cruise light. It seems to be driving just fine. Should I still take it in to have them look at it?
    Hi, there's a reflash pak file for this specific issue. It's not a critical issue, but it's annoying as hell if you want to rev it out once in awhile.
    The dealership can probably still get the freeze frame data, but I took a photo of the code to bring to the dealership as "proof".
    My STi reset itself with CEL so I pulled up to the dealership without the lamp on.

You can search for your model year in the pdf below and find that there's a pak file regarding "p0346 @ High RPM" so use this if they want to play dumb or be lazy.
    http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/759...acklisting.pdf

Anyway, your car probably didn't get the rolling change in production, there's also a TSB on the code.

Hope this information helps, good luck.

Thank you man this was bothering the crap outta me. So my check engine light went out and I haven't taken it to the shop yet. Do you think its going to run just fine until i get it over there? Oh and that makes me feel better that they have a fix for this.

It will be fine to drive it with the CEL in limp mode but your ECU has cleared it already.

If your OBD2 reader can read freeze frame data I bet it will still be there if you didn't erase it.
    If you take your car to the dealership with no CEL and no permanent freeze frame data, they have no obligation to re-flash your car and tell you to pound sand.

Talking to a Tech that flashed my car, the dealership will actually send out that freeze frame data from your car to Subaru for them to take a look at for research/development/fixing like they should.

So anyone lurking or happens to find this thread.
    You can't go into a dealership and request pak file XXXXXX to be covered under warranty just cause you want the latest.
    You need the car to log the data to back it up.

The p0346 was more of an annoyance than a problem for me.

Edit:

Also they did check if I still had the stock tune.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.