Knocking noise at 2800rpms
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Knocking noise at 2800rpms within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Any idea wtf this could be?? 2014 wrx no mods besides muffler delete, 12k miles Word noise - YouTube...

Any idea wtf this could be?? 2014 wrx no mods besides muffler delete, 12k miles

Word noise - YouTube

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Bump

I Support ClubWRX
    Lord that sounds like a rod knocking, if it's not then it likely not good in either way. If you still have a manufacturer warranty or an extended warranty then take it to the dealer immediately.

Do you have any engine mods? If so list them all please.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned buy Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    Lord that sounds like a rod knocking, if it's not then it likely not good in either way. If you still have a manufacturer warranty or an extended warranty then take it to the dealer immediately.

Do you have any engine mods? If so list them all please.
    Yeah the speed of the knock increases with rpms. Taking it to the dealer in the morning. Like I said, 2014, 12K miles. Only mods are an axle back muffler delete

Just started randomly cruising along at 75 mph on the way home from Knoxville today.

I Support ClubWRX
    Most likely a rod, either way sounds like the block is shot and if axel back is truly the only mod then this should be covered under factory warranty. To the dealership you go.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned buy Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Most likely a rod, either way sounds like the block is shot and if axel back is truly the only mod then this should be covered under factory warranty. To the dealership you go.
    Maybe I can get a 2015 out of the deal lol

I'm new to the Subaru world. What could cause this at such low mileage? Factory defect? Driving it hard? I don't romp it like a teenager; but do sometimes partake in spirited acceleration up to cruising speed. I was fairly nice during the 1000 mile break in (a few times I shifted at 5000rpms but nothing extreme), oil changes every 4000...
    Last edited by kh202; 05-04-2014 at 08:40 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kh202 View Post
    I'm new to the Subaru world. What could cause this at such low mileage? Factory defect? Driving it hard? I don't romp it like a teenager; but do sometimes partake in spirited acceleration up to cruising speed. I was fairly nice during the 1000 mile break in (a few times I shifted at 5000rpms but nothing extreme), oil changes every 4000...
    Could be a number of different things honestly. At these low miles, coupled with you not having done any engine mods, it's more than likely a factory defect. But I honestly couldn't tell you for sure. Subaru may be able to tell you that. And they will not give you a 2015 out of the deal haha. They can barely keep those things coming to the people that are ordering them. Keep us updated.
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Could be a number of different things honestly. At these low miles, coupled with you not having done any engine mods, it's more than likely a factory defect. But I honestly couldn't tell you for sure. Subaru may be able to tell you that. And they will not give you a 2015 out of the deal haha. They can barely keep those things coming to the people that are ordering them. Keep us updated.
    Noise got much worse since yesterday. Dropped it off this morning at the dealer. Guy said from the sound of it, a new short block may be needed. Said provided I had oil change receipts (I do) and wasn't ever tuned (it wast) warranty will have it covered. He told me they can definitely tell if it was ever tuned, and the 2015 are even easier to tell if they were tuned.

Said he'll call me today what they find out.
    Last edited by kh202; 05-05-2014 at 10:09 AM.

Failed rod bearing #4. Glad I decided to save $600 and not tune it!!!! Lol

Talked to the service manager today. The plan was to have it done today. Called him this morning to see where they where at on it. Said it's torn down, but they're still stilling around waiting for approval from Subaru, because anytime they have to replace an WRX/ STI motor, Subaru makes then jump thru hoops. He said he's definitely on my side tho. Everything on my end is in check.

Asked him what they think the cause was, and he said it had the signs of oil starvation, but they were just as stumped as me....

well I'm glad they're going to take care of you, if not that would but an awful bill!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.