Onramp pull then weird problems, then no start
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Onramp pull then weird problems, then no start within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 2004 WRX, 226k miles, original engine, trans and clutch. Just changed timing belt, water pump and oil pump as well ...

Onramp pull then weird problems, then no start

2004 WRX, 226k miles, original engine, trans and clutch. Just changed timing belt, water pump and oil pump as well as all idler pulleys. Ran fine with no weird symptoms for the last 2-3 weeks.

Driving to work tonight, i am getting on the freeway. I'm in second gear and stretched it out pretty far, nearly to redline, then when at highway speed i get in 5th and set cruise at 65. Once cruise is set, i notice some very strange things happening. There is a strange vibration, and i notice my speed going from 65 to 70, then back down to 65, then back up to 70 as the vibration is getting louder. The vibration turns into a knock/tick, and it's not really a consistent sound like what i would think a rod would be. I pull off the freeway and as soon as i push the clutch in, the car dies and check engine light comes on. I try to start it once i got it off the road and stopped on the shoulder, but it just cranked and cranked. It acted like it wanted to start a couple times, but didn't. I plugged in my AP to read the code and nothing popped up.

Now i guess the first step is a compression test, but if that turns out to be normal for a high mileage engine, should i be looking at the clutch as a complete failure, or even throwout bearing? Would that cause this condition?
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Why do you expect that the clutch is what is causing the engine not to run? Is is because the car sounds like it wants to start?

I imagine that there are all kinds of things which could give the symptoms that you're describing. Somehow, you need to figure out if the issue is in the drivetrain or in the engine... perhaps you can take a datalog during the startup process (I have done this plenty of times with romraider). I'm not sure if that'll tell you much... but at least you can see if there is anything clearly amiss.
    David - '05 WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Check CAS. Check under timing cover.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Obeisance View Post
    Why do you expect that the clutch is what is causing the engine not to run? Is is because the car sounds like it wants to start?

I imagine that there are all kinds of things which could give the symptoms that you're describing. Somehow, you need to figure out if the issue is in the drivetrain or in the engine... perhaps you can take a datalog during the startup process (I have done this plenty of times with romraider). I'm not sure if that'll tell you much... but at least you can see if there is anything clearly amiss.
    I don't necessarily expect it, i was just asking if anyone has heard of this happening on a spent clutch. I do understand a completely dead clutch is something most people have never experienced though, myself included.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Check CAS. Check under timing cover.
    CAS?
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

I Support ClubWRX
    Crank angle sensor.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Where is the CAS located?

I didn't do a lot today besides get it in the garage and on stands. I drained the oil and it didn't look bad. Turned it over a few times so my buddy could listen to it before draining the oil and there was a really bad grinding sound coming from the starter area. I looked at the bottom of the flywheel where it's visible and didn't see anything odd. Rotated the flywheel a couple times by turning it over and still no teeth missing or weird looking spots.

It's the original starter, could it be stuck engaged and while driving lost some teeth? I know it could cause it to not start obviously, but would it cause a stall? The way it turns over seems like it turns over normal, then slows down, then turns over normal then slows down, like teeth could be missing on the starter. Thinking to pull the starter tomorrow since that seems pretty easy. Seems logical if the starter was stuck engaged and i did a high rpm pull, then it could damage it, but i realize i could be grasping at straws.

Oil pan looks like a PITA to pull. Lots of swivel adapters or jack the engine up off the cross member.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

I Support ClubWRX
    It's located "between" the alternator and the crank pulley, nearer the driver side but toward the middle front "top" of the engine. It's got a single harness going to it and I believe it's a 10 mm bolt if memory serves. See that it's connected correctly.

Come to think of it, see:
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...=518006&page=2
    because it's not clear to me whether a cam sensor would also give you the same problems.

All this assumes you don't have a massive intake air leak etc.

What about the sound though?
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't know about the sound frankly. Are all the belts intact? The tensioner for the A/C belt?

I'd be tempted to peak under the front cover -- I know you've been there recently and it's never fun, but it could shed some light on the issue. When you did the timing belt, did you change the timing belt tensioner too? Those sometimes clack.

Yes I changed the tensioner. I did have to compress it though and reinstall. I took my time. 10-15 mins as recommended.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

I Support ClubWRX
    Consider a look under the front cover.

Threw a rod.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh no, and you did all that work. Argh! Sorry to hear. You're sure, then?

I'm sorry for your car loss too. On the other hand, will you try to repair it? What are your plans?

edit: I found your other thread: motor = blown, 2004 wrx, what are my options
    David - '05 WRX

I was standing there when the guy force started it and put a stethoscope on it. No question.

He even told me to find a motor and do it myself because they will have to source a shortblock and rebuild since they can't warranty a used motor. Said it would be 5k minimum in parts if they did it but i could find a used motor for 3k. Really nice guy, knew subarus well. Owns 2 of them. Independent mechanic, not subaru dealer.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast