New 2015 WRX Limited Average Idle Range?

This is a discussion on New 2015 WRX Limited Average Idle Range? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a question about the idle range of my 2015 Subaru WRX after it has been sitting overnight. Here ...

New 2015 WRX Limited Average Idle Range?

I have a question about the idle range of my 2015 Subaru WRX after it has been sitting overnight.

Here are the facts: I just picked up a '15 Subaru WRX Limited with CVT and it seemed as though the idle speed - the car is started cold (~72 degree ambient temperature in the garage) - is relatively high (1,500 - 1,800 RPM) and remains there until I start driving. Once I start driving, if I come to a stop, the tach reads <1,000 RPM and feels normal. It has done this twice now (<250 miles on the car so no gas fill-up except the one from the dealer).

We had a Jetta that would run a higher idle speed for 30-45 seconds and then cut down to normal. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is this a normal idle when you start the car with a Subaru? Does it drop down after a few minutes? We don't let our cars idle for more than a minute or two.

I am new to this forum, so I apologize if I posted in the wrong place

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That's the same range my 2013 wrx idles at. Takes my car a while to get down to normal idle range on a cold start unless I start driving right away.

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Same thing in my '15,normal.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

I was wondering this as well. My '15 WRX 6sp hangs out around 1500rpm for several minutes until it finally calms down. Is it ok to drive off before the idle comes down to "normal"?

Second related question. After warming the car up then coming to a prolonged stop (say parked with the engine on and trans in neutral) the rpm's will settle at just about 700 and feel right, but dip every few seconds to about 600 then jump back to 700. Gives me the initial feeling like the engine is about to stall. I notice the vacuum drops and jumps simultaneously as well.

Re: rpms at idle

Quote Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
    I was wondering this as well. My '15 WRX 6sp hangs out around 1500rpm for several minutes until it finally calms down. Is it ok to drive off before the idle comes down to "normal"?

Second related question. After warming the car up then coming to a prolonged stop (say parked with the engine on and trans in neutral) the rpm's will settle at just about 700 and feel right, but dip every few seconds to about 600 then jump back to 700. Gives me the initial feeling like the engine is about to stall. I notice the vacuum drops and jumps simultaneously as well.
    First; I think high idle is normal until system gets warm enough for O2 sensor to start working.
    Second; Dipping rpms at idle: It is probably just your ACC/CF kicking in.
    Last edited by trama; 05-02-2014 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Oops, first post evar on here plz forgive

Quote Originally Posted by trama View Post
    First; I think high idle is normal until system gets warm enough for O2 sensor to start working.
    Second; Dipping rpms at idle: It is probably just your ACC/CF kicking in.
    My 15 does the same. 1500 for 30 secs to 1 min, drop to 600 afterwords.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

My 15 limited does the same thing, sometimes when its cold in the morning it will do it for about 1 and 1/2 minutes, other times may be 30 seconds are less depending on how long the car has been sitting. Completely normal on turbo cars and you should allow it to warm up and idle down before driving.

Pretty much agreeing with all input. OP, when you first do a cold start, let the car warm up until the revs drop. But, keep in mind, the coolant will come to temperature before the oil, so do not hoon it straight out of the driveway.
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

Warranty friendly mods for now-
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257