What do I need for TGV deletes?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on What do I need for TGV deletes? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Codes popping on on both TGVs. Ones stuck open, and the others stuck shut. So to avoid any future trouble ...

What do I need for TGV deletes?

Codes popping on on both TGVs. Ones stuck open, and the others stuck shut.
    So to avoid any future trouble , and to just do away with the motors I want to install deletes. Now I found some re remanufactured ones on eBay for around 130.. Do I need anything else to go with that or can I just put those in? I know once I get them installed I'll need to remove the codes from the ECU, but I was wondering what I needed part wise

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    This is not a job for the timid or inexperienced. I was barely able to do it myself.

You may as well do some other upgrades while at it. Fuel injectors maybe? Not sure what you are looking at on eBay, but GrimmSpeed does the deletes very well.

A thread I posted a while back that became rather popular, with a lot of good info:

Fuel pump, injectors, TGV deletes and TD04 19T

Info on the TGV deletes (page 9): Fuel pump, injectors, TGV deletes and TD04 19T
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 04-18-2014 at 06:27 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

So your saying I should upgrade the injectors while I have all that apart? That would make more sense to do.. And on eBay from what it looks like is the stock TGVs with the flaps removed

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeno11 View Post
    So your saying I should upgrade the injectors while I have all that apart? That would make more sense to do.. And on eBay from what it looks like is the stock TGVs with the flaps removed
    Depends on what you want out of your setup. When replacing the TGV bodies, an injector replacement will never be easier.

I've always been leery of eBay for crucial difficult to install components like the TGV bodies. I'd happily pay more for something with a solid reputation, rather then the unknown quality of eBay parts. Trust me - you do not want to do this job twice.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

Definitely dosent sound like a job I want to do twice.. And honestly I just want to avoid running into this issue again. I bought the car like this, just stuck in limp mode because one of the valves is shut so the car won't even go past 35.

Just point me in the right direction and I'll have no problem ordering the stuff up when I get paid. I'd rather have it done right then sketchy like everything else this guy had done on this car

I Support ClubWRX
    You will just need the top and bottom TGV gaskets. Grimspeed sells some nice phenolic ones.
    Make - Subaru - WRX '02-'07 - Phenolic Spacers - GrimmSpeed
    GrimmSpeed™ Subaru Intake Manifold to TGV Gasket(pair) - Enlarged Bore! - GrimmSpeed

You will also need a copy of the FSM for the procedure and torque specs.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Don't I need the actual deletes though?

I was reading online that if need like I'd need a while new cable without those flaps in the middle to do a delete

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Don't I need the actual deletes though?
    I was reading online that if need like I'd need a while new cable without those flaps in the middle to do a delete
    lolwut? Yeah, the point of doing TGV deletes is to remove the butterfly valves in the TGVs. The companies that sell deletes like Grimmspeed will port and polish the assembly to increase airflow.

I Support ClubWRX
    GrimmSpeed is your one stop shop for all you will need, namely the gaskets as above. You'll need engine management to suppress the CEL codes once the sensors are no longer connected to anything.

As Drews pointed out, the "deletes" consist of the TGV bodies without the butterfly valves.
    Mods & Pics

So just for two of those valves is like 400.. And I need spacers. Anything else?

How do I know what size to buy for the phonemic spacers

I Support ClubWRX
    The spacers are not mandatory, just a little icing on the cake as it were. You did not mention model year ... if you have a plastic intake manifold I'd not bother with the spacers as the manifold is already resistant to heat soak.

If you get the GS deletes, you can send your current bodies back for a core refund. That is what I did.
    Mods & Pics

Sorry, I have an 02 wrx. And yeah the deletes I was looking at mentioned a core refund. So if I get those deletes, and the other gaskets and such, I should be good right? It's be nice not to pay an extra hundred bucks if I don't have to on those spacers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.