Check Engine Light - Ethanol in gas

This is a discussion on Check Engine Light - Ethanol in gas within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've been having a weird idling problem intermittently. It is occasionally very rough, and I can feel something going on ...

I Support ClubWRX

Check Engine Light - Ethanol in gas

I've been having a weird idling problem intermittently. It is occasionally very rough, and I can feel something going on sometimes under acceleration ... like a misfire or something.

The car has been to the dealer 2 times now for the same code, and their explanation (this time) is that I have ethanol in my fuel and I need to find a different gas station/brand. Given that I don't buy just one name brand, depending on where I am, I have no idea what to do. When I told the service rep that, he repeated himself.

They gave me my car back today with those instructions. And if I have the problem again they will investigate further.

1. Is this hurting my car?
    2. What can I do about it?
    3. Is there an additive that can help with this?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What is the code of the CEL? Can you get access to an ECU logging solution?
    David - '05 WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank_VA View Post
    The car has been to the dealer 2 times now for the same code, and their explanation (this time) is that I have ethanol in my fuel and I need to find a different gas station/brand. Given that I don't buy just one name brand, depending on where I am, I have no idea what to do. When I told the service rep that, he repeated himself.
    Ask in writing for a statement saying Subaru of America does not believe the fuel sold in station X (fill in the blank) meets the legal requirements for gasolines sold in the United States.

If they don't give you that have them fix your car under warranty.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    The code is P0300 - Random Misfire. I don't have access myself, but this is the code the dealer put on my receipt.

At the moment, they just told me to drive it and if it does it again, bring it back and plan on leaving it. The service rep was a tad robotic about "Find another gas station".

I Support ClubWRX
    They are morons. E10 is not going to create that kind of problem.

IF YOU HAVE A MISFIRE CODE ,PLEASE READ THIS!!!

What mods are on the car? Need mileage,year.......
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/genera...-question.html
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    I never seem to do this right.

2013 WRX w/ 26000 miles on it. Completely stock.

Thanks for the info, it's been helpful. I talked with Subaru USA and they're supposedly going to talk to the service dept. to see what's going on, and why multiple trips for the same problem is going on.

I Support ClubWRX
    I would try cleaning the factory engine grounds,battery terminals or even adding a grounding kit and see if that helps. All gas station in VA,as far as I know,use E-10. The thing using a Tier 1 gasoline does is guarantee a good additive/detergent package.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S