Just hitting 1,000 miles at 3 months... Oil Change?

This is a discussion on Just hitting 1,000 miles at 3 months... Oil Change? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello all... I have been reading and reading and reading and reading threads about oil changes etc... I haven't found ...

Just hitting 1,000 miles at 3 months... Oil Change?

Hello all...

I have been reading and reading and reading and reading threads about oil changes etc... I haven't found a lot on my particular question...

I bought my WRX 3 months ago but am just about to hit the 1,000 mile mark (Most likely on my way home today)... I have read NOT to change the oil from the factory too soon because of the particles to assist in break-in... but I have also read that the oil should be changed at 3,750 or 3 months whichever comes first...

So... this may be a can of worms... but thoughts? And my apologies if I missed the exact thread already covering this exact question... go ahead and point it out to me and laugh

Thanks!

Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Read your manual, it will tell you. For what it is worth, I changed mine at 1,000 even though I didn't need to. Waste of money? Maybe. Worth it for peace of mind? Yes.

Right... I have read the manual, car101 etc... the maintenance schedule calls for first by 7.5 months or 7,500k... Was just looking for opinions... the dealer I bought the car from just told me 7,500k... while a dealer near where I'm working today said 6 months or 3,750k...

Guess it really does just come down to what makes "you" feel good... I haven't strayed from the break-in "rules" and my levels haven't moved so I may wait until 3,750k... I know I won't go past that...

Thanks for the reply...

Mike

I was wondering this too, I had read 1000 miles a few times online but the manual states 7500/7.5. I might just split the difference.
    2015 ISM WRX

I've read that the break in oil has nothing special in it. I did 2 changes before 5k miles for piece of mind. Now I change every 3500

There are no additives in the Subaru factory oil. You can change the oil at any time.

I did a ton of reading on this subject and most people seem to do theirs around 1000 miles. I went a bit longer and changed mine at 1200. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to remove the oil filter because the gorillas at the factory must have installed it to 200 ft-lb. So I had to order a filter wrench (this one is perfect, BTW: Amazon.com: Lisle 63600 Oil Filter Tool: Automotive ). By the time the filter wrench arrived, I had about 1800 miles on my car, so I changed the oil again along with the filter.

Bottom line is go ahead and change it. There are no "particles" that are helping break-in.

Its not so much the fact that there would be additives helping break-in...it's general thought to change oil after break-in to remove any particles caused by break-in. Flushes out any flakes or chips from possible not-so-perfect clearances and anything leftover from machining and assembly.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying