Just hitting 1,000 miles at 3 months... Oil Change?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Just hitting 1,000 miles at 3 months... Oil Change? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello all... I have been reading and reading and reading and reading threads about oil changes etc... I haven't found ...

Just hitting 1,000 miles at 3 months... Oil Change?

Hello all...

I have been reading and reading and reading and reading threads about oil changes etc... I haven't found a lot on my particular question...

I bought my WRX 3 months ago but am just about to hit the 1,000 mile mark (Most likely on my way home today)... I have read NOT to change the oil from the factory too soon because of the particles to assist in break-in... but I have also read that the oil should be changed at 3,750 or 3 months whichever comes first...

So... this may be a can of worms... but thoughts? And my apologies if I missed the exact thread already covering this exact question... go ahead and point it out to me and laugh

Thanks!

Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Read your manual, it will tell you. For what it is worth, I changed mine at 1,000 even though I didn't need to. Waste of money? Maybe. Worth it for peace of mind? Yes.

Right... I have read the manual, car101 etc... the maintenance schedule calls for first by 7.5 months or 7,500k... Was just looking for opinions... the dealer I bought the car from just told me 7,500k... while a dealer near where I'm working today said 6 months or 3,750k...

Guess it really does just come down to what makes "you" feel good... I haven't strayed from the break-in "rules" and my levels haven't moved so I may wait until 3,750k... I know I won't go past that...

Thanks for the reply...

Mike

I was wondering this too, I had read 1000 miles a few times online but the manual states 7500/7.5. I might just split the difference.
    2015 ISM WRX

I've read that the break in oil has nothing special in it. I did 2 changes before 5k miles for piece of mind. Now I change every 3500

There are no additives in the Subaru factory oil. You can change the oil at any time.

I did a ton of reading on this subject and most people seem to do theirs around 1000 miles. I went a bit longer and changed mine at 1200. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to remove the oil filter because the gorillas at the factory must have installed it to 200 ft-lb. So I had to order a filter wrench (this one is perfect, BTW: Amazon.com: Lisle 63600 Oil Filter Tool: Automotive ). By the time the filter wrench arrived, I had about 1800 miles on my car, so I changed the oil again along with the filter.

Bottom line is go ahead and change it. There are no "particles" that are helping break-in.

Its not so much the fact that there would be additives helping break-in...it's general thought to change oil after break-in to remove any particles caused by break-in. Flushes out any flakes or chips from possible not-so-perfect clearances and anything leftover from machining and assembly.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.