Timing belt, water pump, oil pump new, 2004 wrx won't start

This is a discussion on Timing belt, water pump, oil pump new, 2004 wrx won't start within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 225k miles and i just did my 2nd timing belt change. Everything went well... or so i thought. Timing belt ...

Timing belt, water pump, oil pump new, 2004 wrx won't start

225k miles and i just did my 2nd timing belt change. Everything went well... or so i thought. Timing belt went on, i know it was perfectly timed, i'm 100% positive, but the car just cranks and cranks and cranks. I think i know what i did. While removing the crank sprocket that the timing belt rides on, i pried it with a screw driver. Apparently that was not a good thing to do, because i broke a tooth on the back side of it where apparently the crank position sensor gets it's signal from. Why i didn't think better of just putting it back in and assuming it would be fine, i don't know, but... am i correct in assuming that the car will not start with even one broken cog on that sprocket?
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

2004 WRX - JBP:Stage 2:13.93 @ 96

Wingless alas. Too bad it took a 50 ton truck to make it happen.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah,that is probably your issue. I want to say someone had done the exact same thing as you and had the same end result.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I've seen it talked about on this and other forums, but not much. I think most people haven't changed their oil pumps because they are sufficient for most peoples power needs. I just changed mine out of paranoia basically because i don't want it to crap out 20k miles after i do the tbelt. Oh well, i ordered the sprocket. Should be here friday which gives me time to slowly tear it down again. Thanks for the reply.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

Ok so it started immediately. Now here's a question. I started it without the maf plugged in or the fan plugs just to make sure. The idle jumped to 2k and then dropped to 1750 with a rev. Is this because of the aforementioned plugs not being attached?
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

I Support ClubWRX
    And you plugged everything back in and what happened?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

That was without rad or fans or anything in. Just enough in to make sure it started. Fully reassembled it runs like a champ now.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by powder View Post
    That was without rad or fans or anything in. Just enough in to make sure it started. Fully reassembled it runs like a champ now.
    By rights, both the MAF and the rad fans should have yielded CELs had you run the engine long enough (how I know is a closely guarded secret... sigh...). Anyway, all's well that ends well.

Regarding the crank sprocket: I think in another thread I commented how mine simply refused to budge and I was about to gorilla it off, when I simply grasped it gently and for some reason it then just slipped right off. Very odd. Made an impression on me, it's been years but I remember this.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I got a cell. MAF and IAT related. Cleared the codes after full reassembly and they haven't returned.
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06

Oil leak now... fml...
    Blobeye Syndicate #2004
    Military Militia #30-06