2013 WRX knock
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2013 WRX knock within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So last Sunday I loaned my fiance my WRX so she could go to a 3 week work training, during ...

2013 WRX knock

So last Sunday I loaned my fiance my WRX so she could go to a 3 week work training, during which time I was going to do some minor body repairs to her 2011 Mustang. This past Friday I go and pic it up and drive she and 2 hours to see her sister. Today I drove her 2 hours back to her training, and then another 2 hours home. About an hour into my final drive the engine starts knocking at a stop light. 12,500 miles on this thing. The PO had done all the maintenance at the correct times and I did the 10,500 mile oil change myself. I checked the oil level and its fine. Unfortunately my phone battery was completely dead and I was in the middle of no where, so I had to limp the car another 45 minutes home.

I called roadside assistance and I scheduled for them to come and pick it up in the morning to take it to the dealership (which is an hour away). Took a video of it right after it started happening. It got slightly louder after I finally made to it a friends house, which is where it will sit until tomorrow.

Does this sound like rod knock to everyone else? My Camaro spun a rod bearing once and this sound fairly similar, unfortunately no video of it revving since I was the only one around.
    Last edited by skimphish; 04-06-2014 at 06:18 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Oh, my fiance said she thought maybe earlier in the week she had heard a little bit of knocking, but it went away and didn't happen again until my final drive home.

I'm a little bit freaking out b/c I've read multiple stories where SOA just says "ABUSE" and you end up paying for a new engine. I don't drive the car hard all the time, but I've definitely gone WOT a few time, never redlined it or dumped the clutch.

I just don't see how a 2013 vehicle that was very well taken care of before me could have an engine failure from a few "sprinted" runs but my 17 year old Camaro can have the piss beaten out of it almost daily and it never missed a beat for the first 100k miles?

I Support ClubWRX
    I can't watch the vid at work, but I think you need to just take it in to Subaru if you're concerned. You paid for a warranties vehicle. Use the warranty bro
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Do you have any mods ? If your still stock and say you've never dumped the clutch then you should have nothing to worry about.

It's being towed to Subaru today. It's a completely stock car

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

So apparently Subaru's loaner program sucks? They won't give me a rental until it is diagnosed, which won't be until tomorrow b/c they can't get it in today. So I have to pay for a rental for today, maybe tomorrow, then they only cover 3 days of rental...

The service manager swears he can have the new motor in within 3 days of diagnosis. He said he should be able to have motor pulled and torn down sometime tomorrow. I'm just blown away b/c I work at chevy and we give loaner cars pretty much immediately, making someone pay for a rental and not even reimbursing then after diagnosis doesn't seem right...

Wow, that's terrible that they wouldn't give you a loaner vehicle. Give us an update when they let you know what happened to your car.

Any reputable dealer should give you a loaner car with no questions asked for warranty work like that...I'd find a new dealer.
    2013 SWP WRX Limited Sedan - SOLD

2013 Dodge Charger SRT8 - White

Quote Originally Posted by skimphish View Post
    So apparently Subaru's loaner program sucks? They won't give me a rental until it is diagnosed, which won't be until tomorrow b/c they can't get it in today. So I have to pay for a rental for today, maybe tomorrow, then they only cover 3 days of rental...

The service manager swears he can have the new motor in within 3 days of diagnosis. He said he should be able to have motor pulled and torn down sometime tomorrow. I'm just blown away b/c I work at chevy and we give loaner cars pretty much immediately, making someone pay for a rental and not even reimbursing then after diagnosis doesn't seem right...

Quote Originally Posted by blknylw View Post
    Any reputable dealer should give you a loaner car with no questions asked for warranty work like that...I'd find a new dealer.
    Yeah that's on your particular dealership, not Subaru. I always was able to get a loaner with no questions asked, no diagnosis needed.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

The dealer I got my wife's 14FXT from wouldn't give me a loaner once but did the next time. It is a smaller dealer and didn't have a spare loaner. I haven't had either of my vehicles to the dealer I got my WRX from long enough to ask for a loaner.
    Good luck with the repairs. As long as you can show proof of maintenance you should be fine. I'm debating keeping mine stock or getting a pro tune. Kinda scary seeing so many people with issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Well I called and talked to SOA, they said its actually in the warranty paperwork that the dealership will provide a rental or loaner for 5 days in the event of warranty work. I said that my dealership had told me 3 days, so the rep said that I just needed to call back once repairs were done and they would reimburse me for anything I paid for the rental. So that was nice. I was also told that they expect pretty much any repair as far as warranty to be able to be repaired within 5 days. Working at a Chevy dealership I find that most impressive as we have cars sit here for weeks at a time.

The dealership is supposed to call me today and give me the final verdict. They said that it was indeed rod knock, but they weren't sure if they were going to be putting in a new shortblock or just replace the bearing/rod. I was told that they'd have to take measurements of crank end play, measure the rod bearing areas and then call SOA with the data and that would determine if I get a new short block or not. Guess we shall see...

I was told either way the car is supposed to be done Friday. I'm guessing if I get a new short block I'll have to go through the painful break in process, huh?
    Last edited by skimphish; 04-09-2014 at 07:15 AM.

Registered User goodwin812002wrx's Avatar
    I have an 02 bugeye and its showing a code of an open circuit evap I have changed the vent valve and filter now says pending wat should I do now

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

^not sure how that relates, but ok? lol.

Just talked to the dealership. Rod 2 spun completely and rod 3 had excessive play in it. SOA told them to get me a new crank, all bearings, all rods, new oil pick up, and new oil pump. They ordered the parts today, should have them tomorrow and the rebuild begins. He's hoping to have me out on Friday still, but I may have to pick up on Saturday due to work.

That's good to hear that they are covering it! I can't believe how many problems these newer wrx/sti are having.
    I'm just happy I didn't jump into the engine mods right off the bat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast