oil pump seals cavitate

This is a discussion on oil pump seals cavitate within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; When removing crankshaft bolt crank rotated reverse about a quarter turn. I read that this would cavitate the oil pump ...

oil pump seals cavitate

When removing crankshaft bolt crank rotated reverse about a quarter turn. I read that this would cavitate the oil pump seals. Are there any obvious ways of knowing this is the case short of removing the pump.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Hmm, honestly I don't think you'll be rotating nearly fast enough to cavitate the oil.

Just don't use an impact gun and keep the car in gear
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

We started in 5th with brake applied when rotation happened. then shifted to third with more brake pressure and bolt then came loose. the rotation was very gradual and just maybe a quarter of the way.

I Support ClubWRX
    I thought cavitation would occur if the system were under pressure, and the system were then to suck air or for some reason not raise enough oil to cover the teeth of the pump's geared surfaces. In that case those gears would wear and eventually pump efficiency would fall, oil pressure would no longer follow need, and either the pump or the motor would fail. Since your motor was not operating, you neither had nor needed significant oil pressure. If you are concerned you can measure oil pressure but that'd involve turning on the motor. I don't know of a way to spin the pump up enough to check pressure. I also don't think it's a rare event to have the crank rotate a bit before the owner can break the crank bolt loose. My guess would be it's fine for what that's worth.

We started in 5th with brake applied when rotation happened. then shifted to third with more brake pressure and bolt then came loose. the rotation was very gradual and just maybe a quarter of the way.
    I've been thinking about this and don't understand it as a result. This implies you managed to move the car itself, while in the tallest gear with the brakes applied and loaded with a passenger, and while you were standing in front of it, using only hand tools to rotate the crank.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 04-04-2014 at 11:04 AM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Now that when you think about, does make you scratch your head. Off pavement on a grade and aged tires.