timing belt removal didn't go well

This is a discussion on timing belt removal didn't go well within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Removed timing belt today. Had all marks lined up Crank TDC and all other corresponding lines matched up. when tension ...

timing belt removal didn't go well

Removed timing belt today. Had all marks lined up Crank TDC and all other corresponding lines matched up. when tension released driver side cams spun in same direction clockwise from my perspective. And yes I heard a thud. Looking for answers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

This is normal. Same happened to me (although I was expecting it, so I didn't let the cam turn too quickly). Timing belt kits typically tell you which direction is safe for you to turn the cam (against the tension) to align it when the new belt is installed.
    David - '05 WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman3 View Post
    Removed timing belt today. Had all marks lined up Crank TDC and all other corresponding lines matched up. when tension released driver side cams spun in same direction clockwise from my perspective. And yes I heard a thud. Looking for answers.
    Agreed, absolutely, that's normal. When it snaps around and hurts your hand it's a problem. Other than that, fine.

Now, when you replace the timing belt, then follow exactly the diagrammes to make sure you only rotate one cam at a time and only in the correct direction. On our timing belt DIY thread there are specific instructions. Follow those or the maker's manual, that has pictorgrammes with a huge "X" over what not to do as far as rotating cams.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I thought the intake side would spin counter clockwise and the exhaust side go clockwise. If I understand you correctly I would not set intake cam counter clockwise to it's previous setting but instead continue to rotate clockwise a full turn ending with the single hash mark in the 12:00 position. Just for GP's 2002 wrx 2.0l.

Notice numerous hits on this subject. Pistons are at center of stroke and after release of tension the left side valves went to zero-lift (closed valves). So my next course of action is when replacing belt is to turn intake valves clockwise to timed point. Then set the exhaust side to counter clockwise to its timed point. Right side valves are at zero-lift easy to rotate.

I Support ClubWRX
    I think what you were asking was covered here:

Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement

in posts 21, 22, and 23.

In the picture labeled S2M1231A, do ONLY what is shown in the bottom pane. DO NOT DO what is shown in the top pane with the X through it. Also, don't move both cam gears at the same time.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.