Check Engine light
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Check Engine light within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Not sure where to put this post so I posted here. Basically I am looking to buy this 03 Wrx ...

Check Engine light

Not sure where to put this post so I posted here.

Basically I am looking to buy this 03 Wrx with 58,000Miles.. he Wants $13,000

The guy selling it says the "check engine light" is on because of the "blow off valve is making the car run Rich"
    Everybody I have talked to says that the bov would not make that happen.
    the car is 3 hours away and i dont want to make a trip and it be a bigger problem

The car has these for a motor upgrade
    Performance:
    -Invidea N1 3in catless exhaust.
    -Invidea N1 3in downpipe.
    -Perrin poly stiffened exhaust hangers.
    -HKS SSQV BOV
    -STI top mount intercooler
    -Perrin turbo inlet tube
    -Rebuilt 5 speed
    -New clutch (1000miles ago)

why could the check engine light be on? is it because of the bov? should I be worried?
    Is 13,000 to high of a price? What would you pay?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The check engine light could be anything, and it would be hard to guess with all those mods. I would probably venture to say that there might be a check engine light due to the exhaust system and the 0420 code not being eliminated in the tune (if there is a tune). I would stay away from that car with those mods...over priced too.

Why would you stay away from that car and the mods? if you dont mind me asking

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dlongpine View Post
    Why would you stay away from that car and the mods? if you dont mind me asking
    Because it has most likely been beat to hell and back. It is generally frowned upon to buy a modded WRX unless you know the person who modded it and are intimate with the details of the car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Because it has most likely been beat to hell and back. It is generally frowned upon to buy a modded WRX unless you know the person who modded it and are intimate with the details of the car.
    ^ exactly that
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    BOV wouldn't cause the CEL. It's probly his exhaust modifications without a tune. It's probly a P0171 or P0420.

I Support ClubWRX
    Rebuilt transmission and clutch on a 58k car? He must have beaten the **** out of that car. Run away.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

he said the code was the po420 and he is the third owner. but i am not buying it anymore.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.