Help! Stage two today, bolt blew off bpv!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Help! Stage two today, bolt blew off bpv! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I went stage two today and as I hit boost on my way to work, this happened! What do I ...

Help! Stage two today, bolt blew off bpv!

I went stage two today and as I hit boost on my way to work, this happened!

What do I do? Looks like the bolt blew off under boost at 4k rpm. ..I heard a metal clang and let off.
    Help anyone!
    Is it safe to drive? Can I go into boost like this?
    It's still secure by the other bolt, but the side with the blown off.bolt is lifted by a millimeter. ..

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would replace the bolt ASAP. It can cause a boost leak like that. Those bolts are only like a dollar from subaru and most dealerships will get them in in 2-3 business days if they need to order it. But that is odd for it to just fly out like that. Are you sure you tightened them down? Not trying to question your intelligence, but i just went stage 2 this past monday and i went over every bolt 2-3 time to make sure all was well.

You may also want to consider a new BPV. I know the forge one is a great alternate. As you up the boost, and add power upgrades that crappy stock plastic BPV will become less and less reliable. I havent had any issues with mine yet, and ive hit up to 19 psi on my new tune. But the next thing i will be ordering is the forge bpv. Consider it a preventative mod.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WRX-maniac View Post
    I would replace the bolt ASAP. It can cause a boost leak like that. Those bolts are only like a dollar from subaru and most dealerships will get them in in 2-3 business days if they need to order it. But that is odd for it to just fly out like that. Are you sure you tightened them down? Not trying to question your intelligence, but i just went stage 2 this past monday and i went over every bolt 2-3 time to make sure all was well.

You may also want to consider a new BPV. I know the forge one is a great alternate. As you up the boost, and add power upgrades that crappy stock plastic BPV will become less and less reliable. I havent had any issues with mine yet, and ive hit up to 19 psi on my new tune. But the next thing i will be ordering is the forge bpv. Consider it a preventative mod.
    No actually, after thinking about it, when I tightened that bolt, it made an audible pop.sound, but was nice and tight. Guess that did it. It's broken in half, with half in the tmic..hopefully I can get it out.
    I was thinking about a forged bpv, I'll look into it, thanks for your help! I was hoping I didn't blow my bpv. My tuner is telling me to unplug the electrical harness to the MAF....

You think I can get the bolt at lowes? Or at a nut and bolt store?
    Or is it specific to the.tmic?

Quote Originally Posted by 386WRX View Post
    No actually, after thinking about it, when I tightened that bolt, it made an audible pop.sound, but was nice and tight. Guess that did it. It's broken in half, with half in the tmic..hopefully I can get it out.
    I was thinking about a forged bpv, I'll look into it, thanks for your help! I was hoping I didn't blow my bpv. My tuner is telling me to unplug the electrical harness to the MAF....

You think I can get the bolt at lowes? Or at a nut and bolt store?
    Or is it specific to the.tmic?

I mean I guess you. Could take the other bolt to lowes or a similar hardware store. As long as the thread pattern and length are the same then you should be fine. But I wouldnt. Probably bc im very ocd when it comes to my car and my bike and having two mismatched bolts would drive me nuts. But thats your call. I would stay out of high boost regardless until you get it fixed.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

I Support ClubWRX
    Every bolt on that car has a specific torque rating that you snug it down to. I would get ahold of the factory manual.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Check your other thread for my reply about das bolt!

Quote Originally Posted by WRX-maniac View Post
    I mean I guess you. Could take the other bolt to lowes or a similar hardware store. As long as the thread pattern and length are the same then you should be fine. But I wouldnt. Probably bc im very ocd when it comes to my car and my bike and having two mismatched bolts would drive me nuts. But thats your call. I would stay out of high boost regardless until you get it fixed.
    Called on the bolt today, they will get back to me, I asked for the torque value too, if I can't find a FSM.
    Thanks for the help yall!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.