Strange oil leak near driver's side 2004 WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Strange oil leak near driver's side 2004 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys! I got my first WRX about a month ago (I know, i know, where are the pictures?! Very ...

Strange oil leak near driver's side 2004 WRX

Hi guys! I got my first WRX about a month ago (I know, i know, where are the pictures?! Very soon!) and I came across something under the engine that I wasn't quite sure of.

There's a black plastic cover across the front of the engine, parallel to the engine radiator (I believe to protect the pulleys) that I'm referring to. More specifically, the region on the driver's side, between the yellow engine fuel cap and the coolant reservoir. And, there is small amount of oil leaking under this plastic. I cleaned it off after I took the pictures and it looks like the plastic cover is a two-piece, and whenever I put pressure using my hands to try and seal it better, there is small amount of oil seeping through the two pieces.

Should I be worried about this? Before I got the car, the dealership replaced the timing belts and did an oil change. Could there be oil trapped in the black plastic cover? Thanks ClubWRX community!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7560 edit.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	141185

Name:	IMG_7555 edit.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	141193

Name:	IMG_7550 edit.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	141201

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by delirumhappy View Post

More specifically, the region on the driver's side, between the yellow engine fuel cap and the coolant reservoir.
    I hope you are not putting fuel in there? Probably a cam seal leak. It happens. I would just stay on top of checking the oil level and replace the seal when you do the timing belt next.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That is also where the oil collects when you miss the fill hole. Pouring oil without spilling any, turns out to be, a bitch.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

The "2 piece black plastic cover" is more commonly known at the timing cover. It looks like someone just missed the oil hole for a little bit.

Guys I'm hoping it just some excess oil spill rather than bad cam seal. I checked to see if there was oil after I cleaned it and it looked clean after driving it around for about 30 minutes. But, what's not making sense to me is that I've been checking the oil level in the morning for the past few days now and it's consistently reading at the low level on the dipstick. I'm going to change the oil soon even though the dealer just changed it a few 1000 miles ago. Who knows what/how much they put in there, and its been bothering me since!

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    That is also where the oil collects when you miss the fill hole. Pouring oil without spilling any, turns out to be, a bitch.
    +1

how many miles are on the car? depending on the miles it may be a cam seal

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by delirumhappy View Post
    Guys I'm hoping it just some excess oil spill rather than bad cam seal. I checked to see if there was oil after I cleaned it and it looked clean after driving it around for about 30 minutes. But, what's not making sense to me is that I've been checking the oil level in the morning for the past few days now and it's consistently reading at the low level on the dipstick. I'm going to change the oil soon even though the dealer just changed it a few 1000 miles ago. Who knows what/how much they put in there, and its been bothering me since!
    Oil in turbo WRX just "disappears". Expect it, plan for it, don't let it run low, but, don't worry about it unless it is a lot. Not sure about the new dipsticks, but from high to low is only .5 quarts on mine. Adding one quart per oil change is FAR from unreasonable on this particular platform.

Don't change your oil for no reason - just top it up.

So after a few more days of driving I looked under the car and found no signs of oil. Thank you guys for suggesting that it was probably just spilled oil because I will leave it that! My car has about 67000 miles and everything is stock that I can imagine (exhaust, intake, up/down pipe, etc..)

I did change the O2 sensor today. Car lived Colorado most of its life and I'm not sure of the quality of fuel there (or anywhere for that matter!) or how it may have affected it.

The old sensor is on the right.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1396142016792.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	141561

I Support ClubWRX
    That looks like a really clean car. They are getting hard to find unmolested with low miles like that.

The sensors seem to go out ~100K, so that is pretty normal given the long time span as well. My '03 is about to turn over 100K and I'm kind of expecting that to go soon. I don't think it will come out as easy as yours looks to have.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.