Some oil under the hood - driver's side
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Some oil under the hood - driver's side within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 2010 WRX I see some oil, looks to have been spraying up (at one point or maybe it's still doing ...

Some oil under the hood - driver's side

2010 WRX

I see some oil, looks to have been spraying up (at one point or maybe it's still doing it?) because the insulation under the hood on the driver's side looks darker and a bit oily. It also looks oily/shiny on the plastic parts on the driver's side. Oil level looks fine. Actually is a little over full... There is no oil on the ground, and there is no puddled up oil on the engine or on the ground anywhere that I can see.

The oil is ready to be changed and I was thinking of going synthetic, but now I'm not sure... that might make whatever's leaking worse (not sure what oil is in it now, I just purchased the car about 2 months ago).

Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rgrafton View Post
    2010 WRX

I see some oil, looks to have been spraying up (at one point or maybe it's still doing it?) because the insulation under the hood on the driver's side looks darker and a bit oily. It also looks oily/shiny on the plastic parts on the driver's side. Oil level looks fine. Actually is a little over full... There is no oil on the ground, and there is no puddled up oil on the engine or on the ground anywhere that I can see.

The oil is ready to be changed and I was thinking of going synthetic, but now I'm not sure... that might make whatever's leaking worse (not sure what oil is in it now, I just purchased the car about 2 months ago).

Any ideas?
    Can you snap some pics?
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Why weren't you using synthetic to begin with?

Edit: Just re-read your post it's probably synthetic.

Edit Edit: You should only be running synthetic.
    Last edited by cmayba; 03-25-2014 at 03:27 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-03-25 16.03.14.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	141161
    the darker portion I circled in blue may just be due the the rain...

Name:	2014-03-25 16.03.19.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	141169

Name:	2014-03-25 16.03.25.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	141177

don't mistake the drops in the pics for oil... also, the water sitting in the plastic grooves of near the intercooler... that was just water from when i opened the hood (it was snowing/raining)... i noticed the shiny oily look on the circled areas days ago..

oil overfilled? just checked it again and oil level looks a good bit over the full line... this could be the issue

Might be the seals by the spark plugs. My friend just had to replace his on is 07 Legacy I think I remember reading it was a common issue with the 2.5 engine. How many miles on it?

Quote Originally Posted by dtraill27 View Post
    Might be the seals by the spark plugs. My friend just had to replace his on is 07 Legacy I think I remember reading it was a common issue with the 2.5 engine. How many miles on it?

the valve cover gasket? 70k miles... not sure why it would be on the underside of the hood.

I Support ClubWRX
    Looks like someone possibly reved the car with the oil fill cap off.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Or maybe the dipstick wasn't all the way seated?
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Looks like someone possibly reved the car with the oil fill cap off.
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Or maybe the dipstick wasn't all the way seated?
    hmm yeah I considered these possiblities, but don't remember seeing the oil when I bought the car...maybe I just didn't look good enough. By the oil level on the dipstick, my guess is that they may have just dumped 5 qts in (i think the capacity is only 4.2qts??)

I Support ClubWRX
    hmm yeah I considered these possiblities, but don't remember seeing the oil when I bought the car...maybe I just didn't look good enough. By the oil level on the dipstick, my guess is that they may have just dumped 5 qts in (i think the capacity is only 4.2qts??)
    I would say clean that oil up the best you can, to the point where it isn't visible and see if it splatters again. If it does not then it's likely that something happened under the previous ownership where they left the cap off and started her up. The splatters are not consistent with anything that would splatter from flinging off of your belt. So that rules out power steering fluid or a spill onto your belt. If it does splatter again, then you may have a leak somewhere.

Also, side note: the car calls for full synthetic oil DO NOT put anything but full synthetic in this car. Read your manual if you have not already it can be quite enlightening as to what the car requires and does not require. Every car is different.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

the valve cover gasket? 70k miles... not sure why it would be on the underside of the hood.
    His is right around that mileage. His was on top of the engine and if yours was like that it might have splattered up there after a bump or something, I'll check with him and ask him where the oil was on his

seems like it from the dipstick or filler cap most likely

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.