Strange Smell After Warm Up
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Strange Smell After Warm Up within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello all. I purchased a 2014 WRX and noticed first day a smell. I called Subaru and they said it ...

Registered User chrismartin3391's Avatar

Strange Smell After Warm Up

Hello all. I purchased a 2014 WRX and noticed first day a smell. I called Subaru and they said it was the treatment on the exhaust that was burning off. Not to be worried. I just hit 1k miles on her and notice in the mornings after I start her up and let her run for about 10mins that when I come back out to get in there is this strange smell. It almost smells like a mixture between burning brakes and oil? I know what both smell like seperate and thats the best I can explain it. The smell goes away after driving it up the road about two blocks. But the smell is specifically about ten minutes up warming up in the morning. I dont see smoke or anything either.. This also isnt an issue every morning either. It only happens it seems if I let the car sit a day without driving... Anyone else had this issue? IF so what was the outcome?
    RIP Paul. You will be missed

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

im sure its still just the break in smell. but if your worried about it bring it into the dealer ''warranty''

I did speak to them about it. They said it was just the smell of breaking in the motor? This is my first Subaru so I really dont/didn't know what to expect from it. I feel as if I have one of their techs on speed dial lol.. Just being safe. This aside from my Porsche Carerra GT are my two dream cars.. Porshe willl be for when Im old, fat, ugly, and retired lol.

If they said its fine then I'm sure it is. But you could bring your car in and see if they can duplicate the smell.

I Support ClubWRX
    In all honesty, if you're letting your car run and idle for 10 minutes prior to taking off, it could be built up exhaust fumes mixing with engine smell. I wouldn't recommend letting your car warm up for that long, even in very cold conditions. Your engine is still very young. Also, there is a known issue on startup with these cars if a fuel smell in the cabin during cold mornings. Not to worry.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingLanes View Post
    In all honesty, if you're letting your car run and idle for 10 minutes prior to taking off, it could be built up exhaust fumes mixing with engine smell. I wouldn't recommend letting your car warm up for that long, even in very cold conditions. Your engine is still very young. Also, there is a known issue on startup with these cars if a fuel smell in the cabin during cold mornings. Not to worry.
    That is great news and so much appreciated lol! Ten minutes may be too long but I'm so used to my old truck it would take that long for the motor to get just a bit warm lol.. Thanks for the info! Puts an ease at mind!

well it warms up the engine not the liquids inside the car. you would have to drive the car to warm those up. hence the reason why i disappears when you start drivng.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.