Static Electricity
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Static Electricity within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This by far has got to be the dumbest problem I've ever had. There is a huge amount of static ...

Static Electricity

This by far has got to be the dumbest problem I've ever had. There is a huge amount of static electricity buildup on my car. 2014 wrx. Does anyone know why the hell this is happening? It's over 10,000 volts because I can see, hear, and feel it. After sitting in the car for a short period of time, I get out, go and close the door and get shocked. WTF lol. Touch the body and get shocked. Hell I even closed it with my foot recently and touched the pavement with my finger and I got shocked. Seriously wtf here. How am I generating a static discharge by sitting in it?!

I wish this was a troll post, but in all honesty it's just annoying like hell :\

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I got used to shutting the door after I got out with my elbow lol.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Same thing man. Still shocks me like a sob. It's annoying heh

I Support ClubWRX
    Keep some dryer sheets on you lol

It's a problem on the older cars too, at least for mine it is. I guess Subaru cloth is just like that
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I had always assumed that this had to do with poor grounding since my static buildup is always worse when I listen to music loudly enough to get the subwoofer bumping.
    David - '05 WRX

Something like this may be in order if it bothers you that much.Antistatic strap for cars - STOP static shocks! Stop Static Electricity in your vehicle!

Thanks goatlife!
    I complete forgot about these. Most vehicles in Europe came with these already preinstalled up until a certain date. I rarely see 'em here in the states. Should help
    It's more than just bothersome. It's a hell of a shock sometimes, comparable to sticking a safety pin in an electric outlet. But I'm more bothered about fueling... hahaha

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I've had a bunch of cars that did this. My bugeye, however, has never shocked me even once in >10 years.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    My lord, I thought I was the only one that gets super shocked quite literally EVERY time I get out of my WRX. This is eye opening.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Mcbill, check out goatlife's link. I remember as a kid in Europe every car had this. That's the solution.
    Mycologist- I've never had this happen to me because of a car in my whole life, the gf thinks the car hates me

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    It's a reality that the car will build up static charge as it travels down the road (wind resistance).

However, given that the car is a Faraday Cage, you should not feel it inside the car: only as you exit the car and touch the external conducting body panels (hence the shock).
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    I have male genitals so....

I never really notice stuff like this.

j/k
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    I have male genitals so....

I never really notice stuff like this.

My bugeye shocked me every time I stepped out. I considered it a kiss goodbye from the car, and never let it bother me.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Wow im lmao at this post this morning and thought I was the only one as well! Just bought my 02 WRX like a month ago and NOT ONE TIME did it NOT shock me when I was getting out of it! Every single time I get out don't matter if its a trip to get some cigs from the store or its just to get in to start/warm it up in the morning soon as I open the door and get out and touch the door to close it I get a nasty little shock! Its funny cuz I know its coming every time and even start looking for somewhere to touch on the door that wont shock me like the little black trim that runs along where the window goes into the door lol ill use like 1-2 fingers and push the door shut I must look like a jabroni to anyone watchin lol.. Only car I have owned that shocked me like this on a daily basis

P.S. I noticed this must have been happening to the last person that owned the car too because the driver side window looks like its worked its way a little loose from people using the window to close the door
    Last edited by Clarkiss; 03-27-2014 at 07:39 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.