04 wrx white smoke near turbo
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 04 wrx white smoke near turbo within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys. I have a 04 wrx, 164k miles, ap stage 2, downpipe and tbe, stock upipe. I've noticed that ...

04 wrx white smoke near turbo

Hey guys. I have a 04 wrx, 164k miles, ap stage 2, downpipe and tbe, stock upipe. I've noticed that I have white smoke coming from around the turbo area and a weird smell, usually after warm up. The smoke and smell aren't always there. Driving it hard doesn't make it worse. I changed the oil a little under 3000miles ago with rotella t6. It doesn't seem like I'm losing any. However I have lost a noticeable amount of coolant since then. It was a little over full, now its almost empty. I also just ran out of power steering fluid and had to replace it, so I'll be keeping my eye on that. Lastly today I noticed that the passenger side of the block is wet, puddles in some spots at the top. Any ideas what it could be? Possible leak?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That sounds quite concerning. I have a clarification question: when you say that your coolant is almost empty, are you gauging the fill level from the coolant run-over reservoir?
    David - '05 WRX

check all of the lines around the turbo coolant reservoir.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

I filled it up yesterday back to full and it dipped half way when I looked at it today. So it had actually lost more then the tank. I've been checking the hoses and lines and can't find any leaks.

I Support ClubWRX
    Pressure test the cooling system.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    check all of the lines around the turbo coolant reservoir.
    ^that and also the lines coming off the turbo. the lines on my 02 were looking a little worse for wear. couldn't find a good replacement so I just changed out the clamps for some fresh ones.

FYI white smoke is usually coolant. Blueish smoke could be oil.
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build

Tomorrows supposed to be a nice day so I'll give it a good check. Is there anything else besides a leak that would cause the top of the block to be wet? What would be a worst case scenario?

I'm having a similar issue. I know I have a power steering leak so the current thought is that power steering fluid is getting thrown back to the turbo and then burning off (hence the smoke). Not totally sure yet, going to be looking into it tomorrow.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.