Help please, need some info on intercooler
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Help please, need some info on intercooler within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So i just purchased a 2004 wrx 107k miles one female owner (she took care of it) as i was ...

JRS

Question Help please, need some info on intercooler

So i just purchased a 2004 wrx 107k miles one female owner (she took care of it)
    as i was stripping some things to get a feel for what the condition is inside i started at the intercooler.
    the first thing i noticed off is when i pulled the hose off that connects to the metal tube running from one end of the intercooler to the other.
    there is heavy oil gunk residue in the hose. it looks like a mixture of water and oil.
    looking into the turbo air outlet there is a light film of clean engine oil.
    is this an internal turbo seal going bad?
    what exactly is the tube running across the intercooler for, engine oil for turbo? air?
    could a bad pcv valve make it this far internally?
    whats going on?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Help please, need some info on intercooler

Several possibilities, including normal. See this in its entirety as merely a starting point:
    2002 Impreza WRX smells of burning oil

So normal is one guess, PCV another, or if you're sure of coolant in there, see above again because there's a cheap gasket thingie to check.

You're due for a timing belt by the book, incidentally.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

JRS
    i changed timing belts water pumps radiator fuel filters spark plugs. i noticed alot of greasy deposit on the motor so i investigated deeper i thought it was a minor power steering leak deposting the gunk but now i see heavy gunk where the intercooler outlet meets the intake manifold. following those hoses i see they both go to the valve cover housing and the other to the air intake creating a vacuum from one end of the motor to the other.. what in the world? thats where my oil is coming into the intake....

JRS
    sounds like something a blown head gasket would cause but the car runs great and its not mixing water in the engine oil..

JRS
    i checked coolant levels yesterday and they were fine i put rad cap on and took a ride and saw steam so i immediatly turned around. when i got home there was coolant everywhere i suspected a loose rad cap so i added coolant and tightened it down and the leak seemed to be non existant. but now my resaviour is dropping slowly. maybe its because its slowly adding the coolant levels to where it supposed to be or is there a leak maybe burning it. what ever it is i know its not normal. where the hose comes from the metal pipe on the intercooler to the air full of oily water. when i took the hose off where it runs from that metal pipe into the side of the air intake was full of oily water. is this supposed to be a vacuum system to keep oil in the valve cover? idk

JRS
    time for a new crate engine ? :x

JRS
    i went to change valve cover gasket and saw some jack ass broke a bolt INSIDE of the valve cover with no thread sticking out....
    Last edited by JRS; 03-08-2014 at 10:42 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    OK lots of things going on…

RE: the coolant. Did you burp the system ad nauseam?

RE: the gunk. The IC hoses could be loose or have failed, don't suspect the worst yet.

RE: the valve cover. Is it a valve cover bolt that's broken? It can be extracted.

Don't mention a crate engine without first doing a compression test plus a cooling system pressure test. I suspect there is no reason (yet?) to do either though. Simple stuff first.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

JRS
    so the serious oil micture gunk in those two hoses coming from the black valve cover vent and into the hose that goes into the air intake hose is normal? its just eventually going to let that watery gunky oil eventually into the motor..

JRS
    i burped the bottom rad cap closest to the bumper only i guess i was supposed to do both?
    i might be paranoid but i think its starting to smoke a little on startup now.
    the car runs like a scared deer for being a 2.0.

JRS
    and yes with the valve cover they snapped the bolt inside the valve cover and into the head :{ would have to cut some of the fender well out to get to it or pull the motor.
    im tempted to just pull the motor and just rebuild.... everything...
    ive recently hopped over from the Honda side of things and could swap motors over a weekend, this is my first subie so theres a few thing they have done that are head scratchers to me.

I Support ClubWRX
    Burp the cooling system as stated, at least thrice as long as you think necessary.

Look at the other thread for PCV info, and confirm if the intake has only oil or oil plus coolant.

The head comes off without pulling the motor but I'd rather not. Just me.

I see no reason to rebuild the motor.

JRS
    No coolant in the lines. Just water. Suspecting condensation over ten years. I just figured with this being the pinnacle of subaru sports cars they wouldn't be to cheap to throw in a air oil separator! Im just going to clean the pcv and get the "EARWAX" out he lines. The the reason I want to strip the motor is for all new gaskets and hoses just to find where all this gunk is coming from. Plus my block is heavily corroded and that bothers me to.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.