Opinions on this kit and company?

This is a discussion on Opinions on this kit and company? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Gates Timing Belt Kit Subaru WRX 06-07 and STi 04-14 TCKWP328 gotboostinc.com...

06 TR, COBB AP2,,COBB DP, K&N sr, G200 CB
    Subaru factory short throw, Auto dimm Rear view, Factory fog lamp kit (self installed)
    AM cobalt gauges: WB fuel, oil press (elec), boost (mech,30hg-20+)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

MTM
    I was told that, that is the timing belt kit I should buy. Ill be buying one shortly. No idea on the website.

I Support ClubWRX
    The kit itself is good, but you should be supporting one of our sites vendors. I hear WTF Tuning is pretty good to deal with
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    The kit itself is good, but you should be supporting one of our sites vendors. I hear WTF Tuning is pretty good to deal with
    +1
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    I have not taken a liking to Gates gaskets. I'd use Subaru gaskets. The Gates kit itself though is great and I'd gladly buy it again. Recommended.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Heard lots of good things about gates. I have an OEM kit though.

MTM

I need one too. PM me a price please! thanks.

my subaru tech recommends OEM but does install these when customers want them. i went with OEM
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Can you provide a link? I looked for them but didn't have any luck finding a timing belt kit.
    Subaru factory short throw, Auto dimm Rear view, Factory fog lamp kit (self installed)

Tnx for the help thus far everybody. Ill probably go for the Gates kit on account of the price vs OEM. One thing that bothers me is that all of these kits don't come with a new gasket of the water pump. Does anyone know where to find a new one? Do I need a new one?

I Support ClubWRX

Opinions on this kit and company?

Hi Buzz, again, get the gaskets from the dealer. The Gates kits do have gaskets in my experience but I really recommend dealer gaskets. You'll need a dealer thermostat and dealer water pump gasket. If you swap thermostats get that from the dealer too.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    PMs sent

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    Hi Buzz, again, get the gaskets from the dealer. The Gates kits do have gaskets in my experience but I really recommend dealer gaskets. You'll need a dealer thermostat and dealer water pump gasket. If you swap thermostats get that from the dealer too.
    I agree with Spiros on this one. The gaskets are relatively cheap, as is the thermostat (it's ~$30 extra total). While you're there, I recommend replacement with genuine OE parts.

do water pumps normally fail?