Little to no power during acceleration, boost leak?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Little to no power during acceleration, boost leak? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, New to the site and a heads up if I seem mildly helpless but Im gonna do my best ...

Hello, New to the site and a heads up if I seem mildly helpless but Im gonna do my best to explain Everything.

I drive a 2002 bug eyed wrx. The first owner had to replace the oil pick up, and as he describes, he replaced the engine with 05' sti engine and added a boost gauge. I also have an aftermarket exhaust system. Anyway those are pretty much the best detais on the specs I can give

The car has driven fine for a year now but the other day, on the highway I originally noticed a low shhhhhh noise coming from my engine combined with occational jerking with a loud, short sucking noise. I couldn't record the noise since my engine is too loud and it was very subtle at first. So naturally I suspected a boost leak and checked under my hood for anything blatantly loose. Noticed my top mounted Intercool had a loose nut. I tightened it down good and took it for a test drive.

The noise isn't present until I get past 3rd gear, then it becomes present in every gear upon acceleration. During this time the wooshing noise has gotten much louder and I have no boost power. However the jerking and loud, short noise had stopped. Anyway I don't know much but I'm mechanically inclined, I have tools and Id like to try to fix Myself.

Is there anything I can do before a smoke test? Assuming I'm accurate in chalking it up to a boost leak
    Last edited by Wenchzilla; 03-05-2014 at 02:01 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Wenchzilla View Post
    Hello, New to the site and a heads up if I seem mildly helpless but Im gonna do my best to explain Everything.

I drive a 2002 bug eyed wrx. The first owner had to replace the oil pick up, and as he describes, he replaced the engine with 05' sti engine
    Let me stop you here...what? Any more details about this sti engine...I'm not the smartest with engine swaps but I don't think you can just put an sti engine in an 02 wrx....maybe you can.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Also check the y pipe under thw intercooler and any other hoses connected to the intercooler and bypass valve. Also check out the turbo inlet which runs from the intake to the turbo.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Haha honestly I don't know if you can either, I don't know if they use similar engine designs or the same engine or if the dude just lied to me. Its been recently tuned and I was told everything was set up super weird but it worked. Anyway yeah, ill have to take it off tomorrow when its brighter and ill update then.

You can probably fit your hand back there and at least feel around to see if it's all connected.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

A lot of times the turbo inlet tears if it's still the oem
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

That is a good idea, if everything feels tight I think I'll still take it off to get a good look at everything

grab a mechanics mirror before you start tearing in. you can look down in from the turbo side under the timc with a good light and see most of your I/C pipes. my brothers 02 had a blown hose we found that way in two minutes from hood up.

like so.
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

Hey everyone, so an update. I looked under my hood, noticed my intercooler was not tightly on, again. After taking off the the intercooler and further inspecting the rest of the car, I noticed another fitting was not particularly tight. There were no blatant blown hoses. So I did some securing and put the intercooler back on. (Also, I forgot to mention that one of the two mounting tabs that are on the intercooler has been broken. It never posed a problem before but it almost seems that my engine's vibrations keep loosening that bolt) Now I have more power than before but the sound almost seems different. Now it sounds more like the scratching brake pads do to your rotors when you need to change them. Almost maybe a high pitch rattle? I looked again under my hood, to see if maybe the bolt had loosened or if I could find a loose heat shield or something but I had no success.

I know this really isn't a lot of information to go off of, any suggestions, should I just try to find someone to smoke test it? It's still only on acceleration, is there any chance it could be an engine problem?
    Last edited by Wenchzilla; 03-09-2014 at 02:23 PM.

Hmmm
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.