Smell of overheating.

This is a discussion on Smell of overheating. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I have a strong smell of something overheating. I can localize it to around the turbo somewhere, if ...

Smell of overheating.

Hey guys, I have a strong smell of something overheating. I can localize it to around the turbo somewhere, if not the turbo itself. Not sure if this relates to or caused the issue:
    The only thing that has changed is that I was running without an O2 Sensor at the intake for a while. The sensor was not functioning properly so I unplugged it so the car would run okay instead of "bogged down". I was told by the mechanic that since I didn't have a catalytic converter it shouldn't matter in the short run. I was running the car without a sensor for close to 4 months (shame on me). About 3 or 4 weeks before I got a new sensor I started smelling a raw fuel within the car, I couldn't smell it outside. Once I installed a new sensor I haven't smelled fuel since, but now I have something overheating like I said. From the color of the turbo, I really think it's overheating. Turbo is still functioning, car actually drives really nice with the new sensor. Has anyone run into this problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

for a bit of clarification:

What car, what mods?

The O2 sensor (A/F sensor) is in the exhaust manifold just before the uppipe, and is used for closed loop fueling adjustments.
    The sensor in the intake is the MAF.

Which one did you unhook?
    David - '05 WRX

Sorry 02' WRX, no major modifications, a turbo back exhaust (minus uppipe) and adjustable BOV was installed when I bought it. My upgrades wouldn't cause mechanical problems. I did tighten the BOV a little while back, but I wouldn't think that would be the culprit, just loosened it today just in case. I'm not sure why I said o2 sensor, I unplugged the MAF for a while until I could get a new one.