AC Compressor will not turn

This is a discussion on AC Compressor will not turn within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; info: 2007 STI, all Stock 65k mileshey guys so yesterday while driving the temperature got a little warm so i ...

Question AC Compressor will not turn

info: 2007 STI, all Stock 65k mileshey guys so yesterday while driving the temperature got a little warm so i turned the AC on, well i didn't hear it click on and put load on the engine like normal and the air never got cold, so i turned the ac button off and drove it home. When i got home i looked at the engine with the AC off and everything is spinning fine except the AC of course, all the pulleys are moving fine, no issues what so ever.now when you click the AC button on, it looks the exact same, no difference, the pulleys all spin, but the front of the AC compressor does not Spin, at all but the pulley does, and furthermore, you can take your hand or a screwdriver or wrench or anything and touch the front of the compressor and you can spin it freely, when its on, or off, it is exactly the same, i live in south Texas and i have two little kids so i cant be without AC any ideas what this problem could be?
    Dont buy cheap ebay knockoffs, thats disgraceful to the Subaru you drive, its not a rice rocket, and you're nota Ricer and it has the possibility to be broken more easily. - Roger

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Here are some dumb questions: Have you turned the thermostat temperature setting in the car as cold as possible? In my car, the A/C clutch will not kick in unless a significant draw is needed. Also, how do all of the fuses look? When you push the A/C button, can you hear a relay switch on?
    David - '05 WRX

lol yes when i press the button to turn it on the thermostat is set all the way down to the lowest temperature it was 89 degrees yesterday so it should have blown cold, i didnt check the fuses or anything and no when i pressed the button i heard no click no engine rpm change nothing and i could still spin the front of the compressor both directions by hand
    Dont buy cheap ebay knockoffs, thats disgraceful to the Subaru you drive, its not a rice rocket, and you're nota Ricer and it has the possibility to be broken more easily. - Roger

I Support ClubWRX
    The compressor will not engage if:
    - There is no power to it or to its switch.
    - The compressor clutch has failed.
    - The refrigerant pressure is too low.

So make sure you don't have a leak and check the electrical connections plus fuses.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Also, 89? That sounds nice. I miss taking a drive with the windows down. This past weeks forecast: thunder snow.

Apparently that is a thing in Michigan.
    David - '05 WRX

Nothing to contribute, but the thunder snow was cool. Lol. Im up in the keweenaw. We also had almost 50 weather, good windows down weather

so how do i check if a relay is good or not, i know how to check Fuses of course, but not relays? and how much pressure of coolant should i have? what is normal