new valvetrain noise on my 08

This is a discussion on new valvetrain noise on my 08 within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So in the last ~week I have noticed a new valvetrain noise coming from the drivers side bank of cylinders. ...

new valvetrain noise on my 08

So in the last ~week I have noticed a new valvetrain noise coming from the drivers side bank of cylinders. I can only hear it when I'm in the car, but its definitely louder than it ever has been. The car has not quite 95K on the odometer. I have done alot of reading today and found that "some noise" is normal, but I'm not so sure that this is "normal." I'm running synthetic valvoline 5-30, and have been for quite some time. I'm not sure if it would work or not, but I could try to take a sound clip on my phone to post to youtube if you guys think that would help diagnose it. What should I check first? I hope she isn't taking a crap on me.
    Josh
    Blue 08 WRX Limited-Cobb AP Stage 2-AEM CAI-Perrin Short throw/bushings-Turbosmart BPV

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Am I just being a hypochondriac? The sound almost seems to have a "deeper" note to it than the standard valve chatter. But it sounds normal from outside the car.
    Last edited by 08wrx331; 02-17-2014 at 10:21 AM.
    Josh
    Blue 08 WRX Limited-Cobb AP Stage 2-AEM CAI-Perrin Short throw/bushings-Turbosmart BPV

Bump.

Crawled under the car this morning, and it sounds like valve train to me and there is definitely a difference in the noise coming from the different heads. Drivers side is "clackier"
    Josh

why would it sound worse in the car with the windows up than outside the car? I need some ideas guys...
    Josh

Although no one responded, I'll give a quick update.

I decided to go ahead and do the timing belt now, because I'm moving and didn't want to deal with it after my move. I also replaced all the idlers and the water pump.

The timing belt was definitely due for replacement. It was quite cracked and the tensioner looked like it had an aneurysm.

So i got new coolant, oil, plugs, timing belt, accessory belts, and water pump on, and it seems to be a little quieter, but still seems to be noisier than i remember it being 2 months ago. But I have had several mechanics listen to it, and none of them seemed even slightly worried about it, so I feel better.

I'm just hoping to not have any troubles with it down the road.
    Josh