Thinking about buying this WRX project car, what do you guys think of the price?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Thinking about buying this WRX project car, what do you guys think of the price? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 2005 Subaru Impreza I talked him down to 00. Have a chance to pick it up tomorrow, but my best ...

Thinking about buying this WRX project car, what do you guys think of the price?

2005 Subaru Impreza

I talked him down to $5500. Have a chance to pick it up tomorrow, but my best friends think its not worth it. Assuming its just as described. I'm more concerned with getting it running, I can fix the body as I go and find the right parts I'm looking for.

THanks.

Project cars are not a problem for me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    BOV and FMIC...Just no... and with the full exhaust, I hope it's tuned properly. Oh, it dosn't run.

Looks like you'll need a new motor (you state it's not running, probably because it wasn't tuned properly or not at all. We can only assume the worst.), both doors, new wheels, new Tires, rear bumper, gas filler door, and who knows what else. That trunk lid gap looks kinda funky. Pretty soon you'll be looking at timing belt change as well. ~30k miles from now...if you rebuild the motor that's just a part of the cost and not really extra.

That's just right off the bat and what we can see. I'd keep a look out for suspension components that might need replacing as well. I'm assuming they don't have the full set of wheels on because the two on the passenger side are now destroyed. I hope it aligns correctly.

I'd be looking at something else. Too many things to fix, too many mods and improper mods, and price not low enough for me. If it's a salvage title situation then I would say absolutely no. But that's just my opinion.

Too much money for that much headache.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

car is running fine. Everything is working beyond front lower control arm, rear sway bar links, rear control arm.

title is *clear* not salvage.

Also too many mods and not proper? You certainly don't need a tune for those mods on a Supra. Not at all. WRX you do?

Quote Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom View Post
    car is running fine. Everything is working beyond front lower control arm, rear sway bar links, rear control arm.

title is *clear* not salvage.

Also too many mods and not proper? You certainly don't need a tune for those mods on a Supra. Not at all. WRX you do?
    Oh yes. After 04 model year you need to tune for anything beyond a catback exhaust.

Car may be running now, but if it is not tuned correctly it won't be running for long. We've seen many many MANY people come on this forum with the same story: "I bought this wrx with x, y, and z mods. It was running fine for x weeks, then all of a sudden (insert calamity here)."
    - Will

That's really odd to me coming from lots of other sports cars. I guess everyones vote is no then huh?

That's really odd to me coming from lots of other sports cars. I guess everyones vote is no then huh?
    Hmm. I personally would want no part of it, but I'm not a project car kinda guy. It might be worth it if it is actually tuned correctly. I think that's probably unlikely; people who know what they're doing wouldn't have a BOV and a fmic on that car. But, I suppose anything is possible.

I would ask him where the car was tuned and see what he says. If it wasn't, then definitely not worth it. If it was, come back in here and tell us who he says tuned it.

I still think the price would be too high, especially given that you're probably going to have to get new wheels and tires. That's another thing, I wouldn't drive it with those mismatched wheels on there. The center diff is not going to be terribly happy about that.
    - Will

I think you guys talked me out of it already. He bought the car from an auction so I doubt he would even know if its tuned properly. Guess my dream of a WRX on a budget will have to wait. Thanks for the answers.

MTM
    no.

I also have a 2005 I got for 5500. It runs. and is in overall good shape.

There are other Imprezas, far less molested with modification for close prices.
    Rust is to be avoided. It should be reason to walk away. I would not buy an Impreza with any rust on it.

I Support ClubWRX
    OP, definitely listen to these guys. They know what they are talking about. You can certainly get a WRX project for a good price, but this is not the one. There is too much unknown about this car and while there is a chance all could be well, there is an even better chance that it was incorrectly taken care of and poorly modded. This one needs to be passed up, don't jump on the first great deal you find because frankly there are not many of them with these cars. Most people that have these know what they have and what it is worth. Otherwise the cheap ones are typically basket cases. But don't get let down, there is always the perfect deal for you, you just have to wait for it to run by you.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned buy Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Go for something older if you're on a budget.

And on the other hand, there's nothing budget about a WRX/STi fixer upper lol. It will cost you just as much to fix it up as it would for you to buy something that worked in the first place. Believe me. My WRX has totally changed my viewpoint. Especially when the NADA depreciated right after I got it on the road again.

But whatever. There's nothing wrong with a project, you've just got to find them at the right price and in the right condition to make it worth while. I'll second Bill, it takes patience and a lot of searching. If you find another one post it. We're happy to help.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    If you find another one post it. We're happy to help.
    +1
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned buy Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Thanks guys I do appreciate the help / advice. I will try and keep saving for the right car, just getting bored of driving my Dodge Stratus. Used to always daily drive more exciting cars like 3rd gen Supra's and AWD Talons so I'm getting antsy.

I do have another project on my hands with my 87 Supra Turbo I've had for 12 years now, but right now since I have a kid I was trying hard to get a WRX since its 4 doors and closer to a family car ( without being too boring ).

Thanks again.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    2005 Subaru Impreza

I talked him down to $5500. Have a chance to pick it up tomorrow, but my best friends think its not worth it. Assuming its just as described. I'm more concerned with getting it running, I can fix the body as I go and find the right parts I'm looking for.

THanks.

Project cars are not a problem for me.
    It's modified with garbage parts. However, since it's a project car, I'd check the frame for damage, suspension for damage, and a leakdown and compression test on the motor. If everything checks out, why not? Just remember to replace all those garbage parts.

Price is too high though for a damaged car. My car will go on sale soon for a price not much more than that and much more tastefully modified.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.