Too much oil in intercooler
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Too much oil in intercooler within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So im having a bit of a situation with oil in my post turbo intake track(from the turbo elbow to ...

So im having a bit of a situation with oil in my post turbo intake track(from the turbo elbow to the throttle body), enough to throw a flag, so in the course of a week I have little more than a bottle cap full . Ive read tons of threads but no clear answers to what the culprit might be. Except to get a catch can (which I have) I don't rip on the car much at all as it is my daily driver and my commute is 3 miles on a military base top speed 40 mph. listed below is what I have and what I use. any answers will be greatly appreciated

06 STI:
    rebuilt motor w/ 5k mi
    stock turbo, intercooler, injectors, bpv
    cobb short ram intake
    full catless exhaust w/ open source tune running 16 psi
    I use Motul 5W-30 and Subaru oil filter
    Mishimoto Oil catch can

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Turbo seals could be leaking.. are you noticing any loss of oil? Smoke? Is there oil in the compressor outlet and none in the inlet?

that's what I was thinking it could be. its not smoking and none that I seen, when I take the elbow off I see no oil in the actual turbo. if it is the seals which I think it is what do you the best COA is? rebuild?

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't think IHI turbos are rebuildable for lack of parts.

Does your PCV valve work?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

well sh*t, guess its time to buy a new turbo (sigh)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by B1GSMITH View Post
    well sh*t, guess its time to buy a new turbo (sigh)
    I don't think you've exhausted the possibilities yet.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

well what other possibilities are there?

Does the intercooler have an odor of coolant in it? Your throttle has a gasket in it that may have begun to fail. That can cause oil blowby in the throttle to intercooler coupling, as well as introducing coolant into the air stream. I would look in the throttle to intercooler coupling hose and see if it smells like antifreeze. Since you are searching for ALL possibility, this is one which occurred in my own car. Hope it helps. Fixing it is 10 minutes work and $5 in parts.

I just checked, no odor, but worth replacing since its cheap

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Does your PCV valve work?
    ?

as far as I know, how could I check

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by B1GSMITH View Post
    as far as I know, how could I check
    Adapt these instructions to fit your situation:
    AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - What are the Symptoms of a Bad PCV Valve
    Just an example.

The idea I had is to make sure that the valve itself functions, but in your case since work has been done in the bay and, well, things happen, make sure it's even connected and with an intact, functioning hose. I may be completely wrong but it's a cheap part and free to check and there's 1 in 100 I'm not wrong. Careful working on it, watch your hands.

thanks ill look into that

ok so I pulled the pcv valve out and it was pretty seized up no rattle at all, threw some carb cleaner in there and cleaned it up, hopefully this solves the the issue ill give it a few days of driving and pull the intercooler off an see if that cured it.

I Support ClubWRX
    That's very encouraging! If upon checking again you still see what you consider excessive oil, check the valve yet again. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast