E brake and battery light

This is a discussion on E brake and battery light within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; starting about two months ago when id come out and start my car and drive to work. i noticed that ...

E brake and battery light

starting about two months ago when id come out and start my car and drive to work. i noticed that the steering would be hard and that the e-brake and battery light would come on in the dash but by the time i was out of the parking lot it would go off... but today was different, today i was half way to work when it happened and it continued on all the way into work.

any ideas? i thought maybe the power steering fluid was low so i check it and its between the lines so its fine and i have no idea what could cause the lights to come on

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I think the problem is that you might be having issues with your alternator (the alternator might be not working well enough to charge the battery). The battery light will typically come on when the car is using power from the battery as opposed to charging it. How old is your car?

Agreed! Get that alternator checked. If it is the issue, also have the battery tested because if its not being charged, its being weakened, and the battery will die soon.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The brake light will come on if the car detects low fluid in either the brake or power steering reservoir. I don't know the cause for the battery light, but I'd suspect precisely what 11BlackSTi has suggested.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

ok thanks guys ill check that when i change my oil tomorrow
    its an 04 if that helps at all

ok my car was showing some more symptoms on the way home from work this morning that id say confirms the bad alternator. the ABS light came on, the windshield wipers were moving very slow and the gauges in the dash were bouncing

do you guys agree?

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah you need to get the alternator checked out and fixed if that is the issue. Also get the battery tested as previously mentioned above. The alternator is most likely not functioning properly and you are losing power over time from the battery. Your battery might end up needing to be replaced too depending on how old it is. Let us know what ends up happening.

I Support ClubWRX
    It could also be a bad cell in the battery. Used to have a car that killed 2 alternators before we replaced the 3rd alternator and battery. Have them do a load test on the battery also.

~Tyler K~
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk please disregard typos!

ok i used my voltmeter and found that with the car off the battery was sitting at 12.4 volts and then when i started the car is dropped and stayed at 11.3

pulled the cover to take the alternator off to go have it tested or get a new one and found that one of the belts had broken so now i have two new belts and am replacing them. thanks guys for the help

Wow, well that explains the hard steering.

yeah im glad i checked it out... should have done that sooner

You live and learn brother.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yep.. alternator AND power steering problems = accessory belt