Stock boost question?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stock boost question? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I have had my 2014 wrx for about a month and a half. It's at about 1700 miles on ...

Stock boost question?

So I have had my 2014 wrx for about a month and a half. It's at about 1700 miles on it. Two days ago the dealership replaced my spt boost gauge with a new one cause it rattled. Well I noticed now it's going to 16 psi then at 4500rpms it dropped down to around 12. Idk if the gauge is wrong or if that's normal? Thanks for the help and sorry if this a dumb newb question.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Boost tapers off as you get closer to redline with the stock turbo and stock tune. Go Stage 1 if you want to fix this.

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk

Ok that's kinda what I thought and I plan to go stage 2 just want to let the car get some miles and make sure all is good before I start messing with anything. Thanks for the help

Even when tuned these cars will lose boost higher in the rpm range.
    2011 Wrx Limited Sedan Silver. Nameless muffler delete, Kartboy Short throw w/ cobb knob, Rally Armor mud flaps, 30% tint... Goodbye warranty Cobb AP v3 and Sf intake. Stink-eye mob #1993

Quote Originally Posted by spotsywrx View Post
    Even when tuned these cars will lose boost higher in the rpm range.
    True. I believe the amount that is lost is much less with a tune though, correct?

I can't give you exact numbers because I did not have a boost gauge before I was tuned. I have a stage1 tune with the sf intake by cobb and peak at 17.8 by redline I'm around 14.
    2011 Wrx Limited Sedan Silver. Nameless muffler delete, Kartboy Short throw w/ cobb knob, Rally Armor mud flaps, 30% tint... Goodbye warranty Cobb AP v3 and Sf intake. Stink-eye mob #1993

So the percentage loss may be about the same, I think with the stock tune boost tapers off to around 12 PSI by redline.

I believe it should be about the same. Stock is what? Upper 14's?

Not at redline.

Quote Originally Posted by spotsywrx View Post
    I believe it should be about the same. Stock is what? Upper 14's?
    Stock boost is between 13.5-13.9psi and should taper down as it approaches redline.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

14.2 for WRX, 14.7 for STI.

Quote Originally Posted by techguymaxc View Post
    14.2 for WRX, 14.7 for STI.

Oops...was thinking of the GDs. Maaaaaah bad.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Oops...was thinking of the GDs. Maaaaaah bad.
    You don't even HAVE a GD anymore, MIKIE.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Stock boost:

Unless you are running extremely low boost targets, the turbo will taper towards redline. In general, on pump gas, turbos are going to typically naturally taper to 14-15PSI by redline.

On a S1 tune, you can usually let the turbo taper fairly naturally and have fueling stay in line. On a S2 tune, you usually have to get a bit more aggressive with the taper (to keep IDCs down). With an intake on either, you need to taper more aggressively. With additional fueling, you can let the turbo taper naturally.
    Last edited by EJ257; 01-30-2014 at 02:43 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

So I was right being closer to 13.5...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast