2011 WRX Cam Seal Failure ( Built Engine Problems)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX Cam Seal Failure ( Built Engine Problems) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm at my wits end with this car and seriously considering burning it for fun (Office Space-ing it)...or selling it. ...

2011 WRX Cam Seal Failure ( Built Engine Problems)

I'm at my wits end with this car and seriously considering burning it for fun (Office Space-ing it)...or selling it. Please lmk if you have any suggestions.

This past weekend I made the annual 200 mile trip to Atlanta, Michigan for the Sno*Drift Rally races my buddy was competing in.
    Unfortunately for me, I trusted my car would provide me with a ride back home at the end of the weekend. This was not the case...

Friday night, it was -9* and while I was taking a leisurely and surprisingly SLOW drive, my car started sounding funky and started to smell like a snowmobile!
    Luckily we were about .5 miles from the cabin, so I got back ASAP. After inspection I thought that maybe my coolant line had a major leak, since my coolant and tranny/rear diff fluids were changed Thursday morning before I left. Anyway, the next morning when it was light out and I could see, I realized this "leaking" was not at all coolant, it was oil.

Fast forward to the end of the weekend and we've got my car apart at the local mechanic. Since the oil was quickly draining from the front drivers side timing belt cover, we began our investigation there. The exhaust cam seal was hanging all loosey-goosey inside the timing belt cover, so this is our point of failure. Now I just need to figure out how to avoid this again and pick your brains to find out WHY it happened.

1st Point- The crank seal looked perfect and undamaged.
    2nd- I've been running my car for over 2 weeks since I installed the Crawford AOS V2 (Air Oil Separator).

My conclusion is the the AOS must have had a kinked line that pressurized the crankcase and pushed the crank seal out (We found a line that was nearly flat, so we adjusted it so it wouldn't close off again)
    I used the Crawford directions and had a very intelligent mechanic friend assist with the install, I don't think it's even possible that we installed the lines properly or swapped 2 on accident.
    Since it was running for 2 weeks, daily commute of 70 miles, on the highway, I really don't think the AOS is hooked up improperly.

Does anyone have any hypothesis on the possible causes of the crank seal blowing out or other reasons for crankcase pressure?
    Funny thing is, my mechanic did a boost leak test the day before this trip up-north, and he didn't pull the oil cap or block off any of the intake hoses. He said with my engine, its not really necessary to do so. What do you think? AOS at fault, mechanic messed up my cam seal by improper boost test, or some other reason?

The sad thing is, even after ALL of this is fixed. I still have an ongoing issue with my 1 year old built engine or my <1 year old VF52. I have been having inconsistent boost since its gotten cold out. Couldn't find a boost leak, replaced my Grimmspeed EBCS, but still have abnormal boost. Car should boost to 22.5, but it rarely see's above 12.

Here is my build if it helps you decide.
    SPT Catback Exhaust
    Tsudo Catless Downpipe (Heatwrapped)
    Forge BPV
    Bulletproof TMIC Kit
    STI Oil pump 11mm
    STI Oil cooler
    STI Hardened Crankshaft
    DeatschWerks DW65 Fuel Pump
    DeatschWerks 750cc injectors
    TGV Deletes + Heat Coating
    GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley
    Grimmspeed Turbo PnP + ceramic coating on VF52 Turbo
    Grimmspeed Electronic Boost Controller Solenoid
    KS Tech Cold Air Intake + Ceramic coating
    AEM Dry Flow Pre-filter Dry Sock
    East Coast Swappers Stage 4 Tune
    JE Forged Pistons w coated skirts + rings
    Bored out (.5) "Rayman" block
    ARP Subaru WRX Head Stud Kit
    Crawford V2 Air Oil Separator

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well thanks for the thoughts... : / Should i try another section?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.