2008 WRX Losing Power
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2008 WRX Losing Power within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My wife was driving her 2008 WRX late last night and the engine suddenly lost power. She had driven 20 ...

2008 WRX Losing Power

My wife was driving her 2008 WRX late last night and the engine suddenly lost power. She had driven 20 highway miles and the check engine light came on and the “cruise” light began flashing. She didn’t have far to go and it was 10 degrees Fahrenheit so she limped home.

I tried it today and it is still running at about half power. There is also a “whirling” noise that is not normally there.

We live in the country and don’t have a “trusted” mechanic close by -- so any input before we have it towed somewhere would be appreciated.

It has 114K miles on it and, other than regular maintenance, we have had no problems with it. The battery is new and all of the fluids are OK.

Thanks in advance for your help!

BNEX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Very difficult for us to diagnose what's going on. The car entered "limp mode" to protect itself, but there are a variety of things that could cause that. Do you have any way you can get the CEL code read?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I just got a referral for a reliable mechanic. My previous one moved out of town. Is it possible for me to drive it 6 or 7 miles safely?

I Support ClubWRX
    If you drove it very carefully I would think hat you could make it. Without hearing tho is the concern.
    This safe mode is designed to get you safely to a shop or home. I would however use your best judgment. If you have towing on your insurance or aaa use it and be safe.

~Tyler K~
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk please disregard typos!

Quote Originally Posted by BNEX View Post
    I just got a referral for a reliable mechanic. My previous one moved out of town. Is it possible for me to drive it 6 or 7 miles safely?
    Those 6 or 7 miles could mean the difference between a car needing work or a car needing an engine replacement...if you don't know what it did to lose power, I wouldn't drive it anywhere, especially without knowing the codes thrown.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Whirl noise makes me think intercooler hose came loose or is cracked/damaged. If this is the case, it should be ok for a few miles but, change your plugs as they may foul out from running rich in limp mode.

Good luck!
    Chris
    '14 WRX Crystal Black/SPT CBE/Tuned by Torqued Performance

Dose the 2004 have any mode like that i have the same problem has no power car seems likes it has a fuel cut but that could be from running Rich with only 5 psi going in to it it normally ran around 10psi

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bbanks View Post
    Dose the 2004 have any mode like that i have the same problem has no power car seems likes it has a fuel cut but that could be from running Rich with only 5 psi going in to it it normally ran around 10psi

If you start your own thread you may get more input...not nice to thread jack

Again though, no one can really help you without knowing if there's a code or not. Assuming you're running that low of power chances are you should have a cel

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Stinkeye member 520

There are no codes thrown on my AP but i can't get my AP hooked up to my computer that's a hole mother story

Using Tapatalk

Alright, so if there's no cel light right now, the car doesn't notice this as a problem. First thing you should check now are vacuum lines, intake hoses, etc. Possible boost leak

Stinkeye member 520

Ok will do as soon as i get off work tomorrow. i have one more question if you wouldn't mind. I'm getting a td05 16g turbo soon for it manly because i thought the turbo went out lol. What Would be a good fuel pump upgrade size be for that turbo if I'm planning to run 20 psi?

Using Tapatalk

I don't exactly know to tell you the truth. A 16g isn't too too big and I know a lot of people run the 255 fuel pumps so I know that's what I'm going to do. You'll also want to run bigger injectors.

There's plenty of options out there, but it's ultimately going to come down to what your plans are for mods.
    If you have a good local tuner around, stop by or give them a call. Especially since you're going to need a pro tune for a bigger turbo and fuel pump

Stinkeye member 520

Quote Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
    Whirl noise makes me think intercooler hose came loose or is cracked/damaged. If this is the case, it should be ok for a few miles but, change your plugs as they may foul out from running rich in limp mode.

Good luck!
    Following up on my own post....If you do not know the exact problem, have it towed to avoid any risk of further damage.
    Chris
    '14 WRX Crystal Black/SPT CBE/Tuned by Torqued Performance

Will do thanks I'll look in to some

Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bbanks View Post
    Will do thanks I'll look in to some

Goodluck!

Stinkeye member 520

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.