Crank bolt question?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Crank bolt question? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm currently doing a timing belt replacement and i put the new belt on and tried to rotate the crank ...

Crank bolt question?

I'm currently doing a timing belt replacement and i put the new belt on and tried to rotate the crank bolt over twice to make sure everything still lined up, well half a rotation into it and it won't turn the pulleys anymore and just tightens the crank bolt. did i put the belt on wrong? did i put the tensioner on wrong? i tried putting it in higher gears and nothing. it just continues to tighten itself. Just really frustrated and stumped right now

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

its on a 07 wrx

I Support ClubWRX

Crank bolt question?

Please clarify.

The crank bolt is attached after installing the crank pulley. You did put the crank pulley back on, right?

The instructions say to clean the crank threads, oil the bolt threads, and then torque to the low torque spec before torquing to the high torque spec (I don't have the specs on my mobile sorry).

What are you doing? Is the bolt just spinning "loose" even though the car is in gear or what?

Edit: I've given it more thought. This is what I did: put the crank sprocket (if you removed it) AND the crank pulley (you certainly removed it) back on. They are indexed to only go on correctly.

Clean the bolt and threads up as above. Put the car in gear and have someone step on the brakes. Tighten the bolt but you don't have to go to the full torque. Now take the car out of gear, put it in neutral. Rotate the motor from the crank bolt.

If the marks are OK, remove the crank bolt and pulley, replace the timing covers, then put the pulley back on.

Torque the bolt in two steps. For the 2L 2002 motor I first went to 34 ft lb then to 94 ft lb. to do this, put the car back in gear and have someone step on the brakes.

Is this what you did and if so what problem are you having?
    Last edited by SD_GR; 01-26-2014 at 01:21 AM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    You should be turning the motor with the transmission in neutral.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Definitely! Put the car in neutral to turn the motor manually!
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Sounds effed up. Probably the timing is off and you hit a piston to valve. Re-check all the marks... if engine will not turn all the way it's a serious issue, don't force it, rather take back apart and start over.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.