Overheating on a 04' WRX

This is a discussion on Overheating on a 04' WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, looking to buy a Subaru WRX but the guy says its overheating and he says it has a new ...

Overheating on a 04' WRX

Hello,
    looking to buy a Subaru WRX but the guy says its overheating and he says it has a new thermostat and a new cooling system so im assuming it needs a new head gasket.. How much would this cost me?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It's not worth the buy. Find a WRX that wont require such serious maintenance. The overheating could be masking other issues.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    I would try burping the system first. Make sure all the air got purged out. Then get a coolant analysis done. This would tell if is indeed a head gasket issue. Cost will be relative to what shop you take it too. I have changed head gaskets with the motor in car but some shops prefer to pull the motor.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S