Possibly bent valves? Or normal 2011 WRX Ticking noise?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Possibly bent valves? Or normal 2011 WRX Ticking noise? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Please, please, help! Long story short is, I bought a 2011 WRX that got in a collision where the frame ...

I'm engaged to my WRX. kedonot1's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Possibly bent valves? Or normal 2011 WRX Ticking noise?

Please, please, help!

Long story short is, I bought a 2011 WRX that got in a collision where the frame crushed the timing belt covers. The guy who worked on my car said that the timing belt had 2-3 teeth shredded. He said the PSi on the cylinders was 130+ Psi, and he may be concerned about the engine... but I decided to take it home anyway.

After I got all frame work done, and new timing belt and covers... I started it up. I've never owned a WRX before, so I don't know if my engine is shot, or if the WRX is suppose to sound like this.. but It's a consistent ticking noise..
    It idles at 1500 rpms, right at startup. Than it starts slowly dropping to 500-700rpms and starts to sound like it's gonna stall out. I also live in new york, and it's 20 degrees outside..and my car hasn't started probably in 5 months... When I rev it up, the ticking noise gets faster and doesn't seem louder. But reving it up doesn't make it sound like a "Growl" in the exhaust, it makes it sound like a honda civic...but when it goes back to idle, it has that growl sound to it. Also, the car started to shake when reving it a little at 2500rpms.

Please help, what should I look for? Maybe a tensioner? Maybe it's normal? Maybe I'm just a first Subaru owner.. or what?

I been researching like crazy, and I keep seeing that it's either... normal... or bent valve play.. or a spun rod bearing.

Here's a video of it..

Need help diagnosing check engine codes? Just message me!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It sounds a little loud but it could just be the distortion from the video. Other then that it sounds pretty normal to me. If you're that worried though I'd take it to the dealer and have them double check

I'm engaged to my WRX. kedonot1's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    It sounds a little loud but it could just be the distortion from the video. Other then that it sounds pretty normal to me. If you're that worried though I'd take it to the dealer and have them double check
    Yeah, I have people who tell me on another forum that it sounds normal..and than i have people telling me that my valves are bent.
    Need help diagnosing check engine codes? Just message me!

If your compression is good on all cylinders the valve HAVE to be ok. A bent valve will kill compression, even a bit of bend will do it.. Do a compression test. And that should settle this one...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Honestly sounds a lot louder than normal to me...You should hear more rumble from the exhaust than ticking. Valve ticking is normal, but not that audibly. I wonder if that's just a result of the acoustics of your garage though...tough to tell.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Ya like I said it's hard to tell if it's louder then normal or loud because of video distortion. The newer Subies don't have much rumble with stock exhaust..theyre quiet
    Also if a valve was bent it should idle pretty hard

I Support ClubWRX
    A leak down test will easily show a bent valve issue.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Sorry, but a compression test is all it takes. Bent valve will kill compression. Leak down only confirms that piston rings are good, indicating the leak is the valve. Since the question is about bent valve... I'm not convinced leak down test is the solve-all and would advise for compression test first.

First rule of ClubWRX, you don't disagree with Donkey
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3

Trust me, I didn't do that lightly. I did try to think about it first....

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    Trust me, I didn't do that lightly. I did try to think about it first....
    I know what the tests are but not enough to make an informed opinion, so whatever I say is here strictly as a page filler

I Support ClubWRX
    A leak down does more than just tell you the pistons are sealing. In fact it can easily tell you,if it is a valve issue,if it is on the intake or exhaust side. A compression test won't pinpoint the issue. It just tells you nothing more than if you have compression or not. It is a dynamic test where a leak down is a static one.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Point being: if there's compression = valves are good + pistons are good. If either fails then the engine needs to be opened up. Otherwise it's likely to be a valve clearance issue, too much play causing the noise. I'm not sure I have the right words, valve clearance may not be correct terminology, it comes from the "old times" where pushrods and rockers opened valves... Now there's a shim under the cam, it's thickness determines the "play"...

I am not an expert mechanic and I do hear the ticking on my car, but not quite as loud as this. Take another vid outside of the garage for comparison.
    '14 SWP STI

Double check to see if our valves are even adjustable. A lot of cars are self adjusting.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.