Starting issue..well, actually not starting

This is a discussion on Starting issue..well, actually not starting within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This is the second time my 2013 WRX has done this. The first time it was like 2 degrees outside, ...

Exclamation Starting issue..well, actually not starting

This is the second time my 2013 WRX has done this. The first time it was like 2 degrees outside, so I blamed it on that. Second time, it was about 40 degrees and the car had just been driven a few hours prior.
    I put the key in the ignition, turned the key over just enough to let the fuel pump activate, etc, then I started it. But it wouldn't start (it wasn't "dead"). It tried to start, but it wouldn't. I repeated the process 2 times, I let it rest, then on the 3rd time, it started. And for a few seconds, it wasn't happy but then it was fine.
    Anyone else have this issue or ideas as to what may cause this?
    This occurred with 2 different tank fulls. No point in taking it to Subaru as it's not consistant enough. :-(

Thank you,
    Brandi
    Purchased 7/17/13: 2013 WRX Limited- satin pearl white: short throw shifter, Perrin cat-back, and some other stuff. ;-)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you're not alone, i have had this problem in both my wrx and sti. living in the north east at this time of year it always happens even though my car is a 14. i cant quote any sources (i know i read it a couple of weeks ago!)but i guess the stock batteries are only around 400 cc amp when a lot of other car companies usually have 700-800 cc amp. upgrading the battery should hopefully rid this problem, its on my to do list but i cant stop buying mods lol. hope this helps!
    2012 wrx 5 door stage 3 + (traded in)
    2014 sti 4 door 297whp/329wtq stage 2 innovative tuned

btw, nice 5 door!
    2012 wrx 5 door stage 3 + (traded in)
    2014 sti 4 door 297whp/329wtq stage 2 innovative tuned

Thanks for the info. Glad I'm not the only one. So, upping the ampage is ok?
    Thanks for the compliment. Nice STI. I see you're a Buffa'lonian. I'm from Binghamton. I have family in your neck of the woods.
    Purchased 7/17/13: 2013 WRX Limited- satin pearl white: short throw shifter, Perrin cat-back, and some other stuff. ;-)

I'm from a little further South in PA. Little town called Warren, it's about 20 miles South of Jamestown. Been up around Buffalo and Binghamton when growing up.

The cold snap did not do mine any good either. Very sluggish to start.
    2013 Ice Silver Premium 5 door - Stage 1 E-Tune

So most likely at fault I would say is the ****ty battery that comes from the factory... The cold would definitely affect that. But strange it took 3 tries to start. Do you hold the key in start position for long? Or just the usual time? I find it takes a little longer to turn over but eventually she does.

And if by "unhappy" you mean a horrible whine noise coming from the front of the car, it is simply your power steering pump moving the cold/frozen fluids.