02 Wrx wont boost above 7 psi
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 02 Wrx wont boost above 7 psi within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I just got a rex and i have an 05 engine in it (still a 2.0 litter) and the ...

02 Wrx wont boost above 7 psi

So I just got a rex and i have an 05 engine in it (still a 2.0 litter) and the turbo only boosts to 7 psi. Now im a total noob @ most mechanical terms. Ill probably posts pics tomorrow, but i think its the wastgate pressure. Now my problem is that the previous owner didnt have a brain and he redid all the hoses (aswell as attempt to put a turbo for 08+rexes in) in the car so i dont know what or where to check.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

First thing I would do is check for a leak around turbo. (Turbo intake hose, intercooler, etc)
    Last edited by flytime; 01-15-2014 at 10:44 PM.
    04 Impreza Wrx

finally got some turbo pics

So i know its been a while, but i finally ended up getting some pictures of the turbo. Now I'm not sure if i mentioned if I'm a complete noob or not but their is your warning. So i still can only get about 7 psi boost sometimes the stock turbo gauge goes up to about .07 mPh which is good but this is still pretty rare, if anything it tells me its got potential. Now i believe something that may be also causing an issue is that the turbo blew according to the previous owner, and i noticed the car still has the stock up pipe I do have the grim speed up pipe and i will probably be installing it when its warmer out. anyways one thing that did concern me is the amount of rust on what i believe is the turbo, and also the white residue by the waste gate (the round thing?). Also the turbo and engine were recently pulled out of an 05 wrx and installed on the car (by a shop not me) so they should be tuned to each other, So my next question is would it be better if i were to just go out and purchase a used turbo for like $100 or what should i do to get this one running properly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140208_180645.jpg   20140208_180640.jpg   20140208_180634.jpg   20140208_180619.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    If you connect the green test connectors under your dash, does your boost control solenoid (passenger side strut tower) "click"?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    If you connect the green test connectors under your dash, does your boost control solenoid (passenger side strut tower) "click"?
    So i just went out and checked it. The short version is no i didnt hear any "clicking" but since i didnt know what exactly to listen to, i did take a video so maybe you can see if you hear it. Ill probably upload it later today after im done with class.
    when i did connect it the only thing i heard was the engine idle rev up and down.

Unrelated to problem: Is one of your horns mounted above the turbo, nearly on the firewall?
    David - '05 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by Obeisance View Post
    Unrelated to problem: Is one of your horns mounted above the turbo, nearly on the firewall?
    If think there is but I'm not entirely sure I'll check and verify with you next time i go to my car

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Obeisance View Post
    It for the factory security system.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by D-tained View Post
    So i just went out and checked it. The short version is no i didnt hear any "clicking" but since i didnt know what exactly to listen to, i did take a video so maybe you can see if you hear it. Ill probably upload it later today after im done with class.
    when i did connect it the only thing i heard was the engine idle rev up and down.
    Check and make sure the restrictor pill is in the wastegate vacuum line.
    Boost Control FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Update #3

So i went to check for the restrictor pill, and i couldn't find it. What i did find was a whole bunch of terrible replacement hoses. So from the pictures i took this is what i found the red and blue highlight the same cable as the stock image provided from donkey (thx btw). Now because my battery was low the pictures suck and i couldn't get one of where the restrictor pill would be, but what i did see was that the hose that lead away from the wastegate solinoid valve (if that is what is seen in image #1) towards the y connector also had the same thing as the earlier picture (# 3) a "y" hose with a screw in one end.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cobb1.jpg   20140210_194548.jpg   20140210_194149.jpg   20140210_194035.jpg  

Update #4

So i was wrong i took a second look today when there was light out and ended up finding the restrictor pill behind another hose.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20140211_153250.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    If answer is yes, then what, if answer is no, then what?

Does it click once or does it have a continuous tick tick tick until you unplug it?
    Kinda hard to hear it with your head under the dash on other side of car.

I have the same issue, everything is in place, restrictor pill is in hose, no obvious leaks but haven't removed the TMIC yet.

Is the typical failure mode of the boost solenoid to stay at 7lbs? It goes from vacuum to 7lbs back and forth as expected per logging data, but relative absolute pressure never gets above 7psi on a tune that goes up to 18.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hybridEJ; 02-17-2014 at 06:38 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    The boost control solenoid is a 12v motor. I have just made test leads before and tested the solenoid straight off the car battery. 7-10 psi is wastegate pressure.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    The boost control solenoid is a 12v motor. I have just made test leads before and tested the solenoid straight off the car battery. 7-10 psi is wastegate pressure.
    Still doesn't answer the question. If I put the car in test mode I don't hear the BCS clicking. Lots of other things clicking, but can't hear or feel the BCS clicking. I may just loosen the vacuum line and carefully test to see if boost climbs over 7psi.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by hybridEJ View Post
    Still doesn't answer the question. If I put the car in test mode I don't hear the BCS clicking. Lots of other things clicking, but can't hear or feel the BCS clicking. I may just loosen the vacuum line and carefully test to see if boost climbs over 7psi.

It completely answers the question. Instead of using test mode,the 100% accurate way is to apply 12v power to the solenoid. Also feel free to consult the factory service manual.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.