HELP! 08 WRX check engine light, traction control and flashing cruise control

This is a discussion on HELP! 08 WRX check engine light, traction control and flashing cruise control within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So heres the deal, Gased up at my NON usual spot (Liberty Gas station) with 93 octane last Monday and ...

HELP! 08 WRX check engine light, traction control and flashing cruise control

So heres the deal,

Gased up at my NON usual spot (Liberty Gas station) with 93 octane last Monday and on Tuesday leaving work my cars idle was very low (almost sputtering and stalling). I let the car warm up (still sputtering at times) thinking it may be the 7 degree temps from the famous POLAR VORTEX in DC. Halfway home at a stop light my cCheck engine light came on along with my traction control and flashing cruise control light. I took it to the shop/gas station where i fueld up on Monday and had him pull the codes .... P178 301, 302, 303 and 304. The mechanic said all four cylenders were miss-firing or that i have bad coils. I had checked the oil level and it was full. Later, after speaking with a friend, He had mentioned that if all four cylenders are miss-firing that my engine would most likely not start. I took his advice and with almost a full tank put fuel addetive in and then followed up with Sunoco 93 grade gas ($8 is all it took) thinking it may be bad gas. Currently still have 3/4 of a tank and trying to sift through that tank.

What worries me is that it could be something far worse. I do not have 2k to put into my car as I just hemereged 50k on a wedding lol! Do any of these problems seem like it is in deed bad gas or should i just bite the bullet and drop perhaps some major coin?

Any advice will help

Best
    J

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    IF YOU HAVE A MISFIRE CODE ,PLEASE READ THIS!!!

Is the check engine light solid or flashing? Also, did the codes get cleared and then come back?

Check Engine light is solid as is the traction control light. Codes were never reset. I am driving very cautiously and commuting only 12 miles each way to and from work.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    IF YOU HAVE A MISFIRE CODE ,PLEASE READ THIS!!!

Is the check engine light solid or flashing? Also, did the codes get cleared and then come back?

I Support ClubWRX
    Typically if the check engine light is solid then you are ok to drive (is it driving any differently that you notice?). I would have the codes cleared and see if they come back. Sometimes if you leave the gas cap loose then your dash will light up (read the gas cap). I am not sure what codes that would throw though, so if they come back after the codes get cleared, then I would get it in to have it checked out asap.

Thanks! Reseeding the gas cap several times was the first thing i did and waring lights never left. I will take your advice and bring it in to have the codes cleared. I will also take a joy ride and try to kill the gas that is currently in the engine. Also, does the traction control light and the cruise control light related to the check engine light?

I Support ClubWRX
    They typically all come on like that with the check engine light yes.

Thanks for the great advice. I will probably need to get a good tune up regardless as i have 81k and never really had one.

Reset the code, it's been read. If the problem persist, CEL comes back, there's something wrong. It could be un-related to fuel. One thing to check is grounding. There have been many occasions where the ground failed, resulting in these issues. These things happen.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?