Dealer 30k Mile Service a rip off?

This is a discussion on Dealer 30k Mile Service a rip off? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Title basically says it all, my car is about 2k from 30k and was wondering if it is worth it. ...

I Support ClubWRX

Dealer 30k Mile Service a rip off?

Title basically says it all, my car is about 2k from 30k and was wondering if it is worth it. The main thing I'm concerned about is getting the tranny fluid changed.

My question is should I just do an oil change and tranny fluid change, instead of the 30k service.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Look at what is included in the service. If you can't do all the items listed (and document that it was done), then have the remaining items checked off by the dealer.

But it seems sometimes the dealer performs additional services ? For example my manual says oil change at 7500 and nothing else yet the dealer runs a whole bunch of tests etc service fee 160 dollars (the test are probably good to do if not done at home I would assume) but the impression I get is that it wouldn't void warrantee if only an oil change was done ? Correct me if I am wrong ...

I Support ClubWRX
    The warranty is an agreement between two parties. If you are in the US you can do the work yourself provided you keep proof it was done. The work is exactly what's in your manual.

What I think should be done, what the dealer thinks should be done, and what you think should be done are not relevant. What is written in your manual is relevant. I suggest you follow that to the letter.

If in doubt get clarification in writing from SOA.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by poi88 View Post
    But it seems sometimes the dealer performs additional services ? For example my manual says oil change at 7500 and nothing else yet the dealer runs a whole bunch of tests etc service fee 160 dollars (the test are probably good to do if not done at home I would assume) but the impression I get is that it wouldn't void warrantee if only an oil change was done ? Correct me if I am wrong ...
    Correct. Not doing a service like this at the dealer would never void a warranty. If you do only an oil change, that's fine.

I'm really unsure if the 30K service is a ripoff. Yes dealers are more expensive than doing the work yourself or taking it to your local Jiffy Lube. However, in my opinion, when you have a car that you are into like the WRX/STi community, why chance anything. If you have a Civic or Carolla or Focus, sure, skip the extra stuff because they're more reliable cars and have less finicky engines and parts than our rally-inspired, sports sedans/hatches. For me, I will gladly pay the premium to have the extra tests done on my car. It might be more money, but I certainly do not view it as a ripoff. It's paying for piece of mind. Yea, they could miss something, but you or Jiffy Lube could as well.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

I Support ClubWRX
    The Corolla is a better car tan ours.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Exactly. Which is why I'd recommend what you said above. Do the full 30k service.

Posted from my mobile foruming mah-sheenz
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah my thoughts are just to do it. I have had the 15k service done by the dealer. My thoughts were to just do this one as well, but wanted to get some opinions from you guys

I Support ClubWRX
    Ah ok I see.

When going to the dealer it might save $ to have them do the book list and not allow extras.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Higher volume vehicle, massively higher design budget, more practical, better value, probably more reliable, but I know what I would rather drive , signed #1fanboi -

( yes I think more reason for more thorough servicing

Well, we could debate the "more practical, higher value" aspect, but let's leave that.

OP: it's your car, you OWN it. There's several ways you can go about maintenance/repairs. Each has it's own good/bad points. IF you're good at wrenching you can do virtually everything that needs to be done. If you would rather keep your hands clean and don't mind spending the money there's nothing wrong with doing to the shop. A certain degree of maintenance is required or it'll come apart at the seams. Extra "tests" shouldn't be needed unless there's a CEL or some abnormal indications. If you asked for something outside the scheduled maintenance (like "please check the cabin heater...") you're open to additional cost, of course. Otherwise I'd tell them to stick it somewhere else...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX
    I got ya. I really appreciate everyone's insight on this. I might just have them do an oil and tranny fluid change. Seeing how everything else I can do myself. I have free oil changes through my dealership, so until they run out I will continue to take it to them. Tranny fluid I have not done before so it might be better to take it to them. Unless it is not to hard?

Any opinions on this?

FWIW dealer service is a ripoff. take a look at the maintenance schedule for our cars:

2011 Subaru maintenance schedule and new car break-in period

it doesn't even say to replace the fluid. with that said, i had my fluids changed at 60k during the spark plug change at my local tuner.
    2011 WRX Limited w/ Nav, Performance Auto Solutions Tuned by Dave - 349awhp 366 ft/lbs @ 19psi E85
    Enkei PF01s, AEM Intake, PW TMIC, TS Kompact BPV, Invidia Q300 Catless Turboback, GS EBCS
    GS Uppipe, Tial MV-S 38mm EWG, FIC 1100cc Injectors, DW DW65c FP, PTP Turbo Blanket, Zeitronix ECA Gauge
    AEM Wideband & Boost Gauges, SMY Cluster, SPT Short Throw Shifter/Bushing, Anarchy Motive Shift Knob, 30% Tint

I'd personally never spend all that loot for the 30k service. You can change fluids yourself. "Inspect" everything else yourself that they charge a couple hundred bucks for...and order a cabin filter off Amazon and change that yourself which saves $100 alone...Totally not worth it.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

do it yourself man
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82