need helpful advice.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on need helpful advice. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, after researching i have found very little. I pulled plugs on my 04 rex, found that cyl 3 ...

Thumbs up need helpful advice.

Hey guys, after researching i have found very little. I pulled plugs on my 04 rex, found that cyl 3 plug was somewhat lean (white) . Cyl 3 is having a misfire and i found a vac leak a bit ago. ( probable cause of lean plug) . I bought the bkr7eix ngk iridium -11 plugs. I am currently running 23psi peak boost with stock injectors and fmi. Yes it has been tuned in october. My queation is, if im running 22 psi what should my plugs be gapped to? Since stock is .028 - .032 at 14.5 psi should it be smaller for more power? And also anyone know the specs for tourque on the plugs? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tsize4 View Post
    Hey guys, after researching i have found very little. I pulled plugs on my 04 rex, found that cyl 3 plug was somewhat lean (white) . Cyl 3 is having a misfire and i found a vac leak a bit ago. ( probable cause of lean plug) . I bought the bkr7eix ngk iridium -11 plugs. I am currently running 23psi peak boost with stock injectors and fmi. Yes it has been tuned in october. My queation is, if im running 22 psi what should my plugs be gapped to? Since stock is .028 - .032 at 14.5 psi should it be smaller for more power? And also anyone know the specs for tourque on the plugs? Thanks
    I'd be looking at a fueling issue rather than a plug problem. If your injectors are stock with a ton of miles on them, chances are they are partially clogged. If you are running the stock injectors, you are on the ragged edge of size anyways. What Fuel pump do you have, and when was the last fuel filter change?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    ^This,

or

Have you considered upgrading to larger injectors? And maybe a fuel pump. Would give you a lot more wiggle room.

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    I'd be looking at a fueling issue rather than a plug problem. If your injectors are stock with a ton of miles on them, chances are they are partially clogged. If you are running the stock injectors, you are on the ragged edge of size anyways. What Fuel pump do you have, and when was the last fuel filter change?
    Thanks for the replies, the car has 90,000 on it and i bought it used. As far as i know the injectors and pump are stock. As far as fuel filter idk, that was my next step. I was also thinking something wrong with the tune

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the replies, the car has 90,000 on it and i bought it used. As far as i know the injectors and pump are stock. As far as fuel filter idk, that was my next step. I was also thinking something wrong with the tune
    Yeah you got fuel system issues. I bet your injectors need to be removed and cleaned, your fuel filter needs to be changed and your fuel system cleaned. But if I was going to go through that effort and pay to have the injectors cleaned, I'd just put new bigger injectors in and get a reflash.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Yeah you got fuel system issues. I bet your injectors need to be removed and cleaned, your fuel filter needs to be changed and your fuel system cleaned. But if I was going to go through that effort and pay to have the injectors cleaned, I'd just put new bigger injectors in and get a reflash.
    Only cyl 3 is misfiring. Weird. Will seafoam through the tank help anything until i can remove the injectors?

I Support ClubWRX
    Only cyl 3 is misfiring. Weird. Will seafoam through the tank help anything until i can remove the injectors?
    On that cylinder the injector could be clogged the most. Too little fuel in that cylinder is causing the excess cylinder temps, detonation and CEL, which can lead to ring/ring land cracking or a hole in a piston. It may be too late already, but I hope not.

Seafoam couldn't hurt, but at the risk of causing further damage, I'd park it until you can get the injectors taken care of. If you crack a ring land or ring, you create shrapnel that then takes the head out. Then you're looking at a rebuild and between $3000-$7000 in work depending on which direction you go.

You can send the injectors out to have them flow tested if you want to see how bad they are. You can also pull the #3 plug out and bore scope the cylinder to check for any damage.

These cars aren't a cheap toy, don't skimp or cut corners.....they'll bite.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Any idead what this connector goes to? Passenger side wired in with the connectors to the o2 sensors
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0110141354.jpg  

I Support ClubWRX
    Take another pic Zoomed out farther
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Take another pic Zoomed out farther
    It's got a resistor in it. I'm guessing that's for the sensor in the Uppipe.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    It's got a resistor in it. I'm guessing that's for the sensor in the Uppipe.
    Didn't see the resistor at first glance, I concur.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Get bigger injectors and a fuel pump and a tune your not putting enough fuel in there!
    2003 Impreza WRX Sport Wagon

"I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

Is it fast? I don't even know if its street legal. O.o (IROC-Z)

Sorry guys didnt see your posts. As far as what we talked about, i swapped the fuel filter and upon initial start it ran very smooth. The later in the day at idle my wideband was giving me readings of ~16.6 and cel flashing. Cyl 3 misfire came up again along with po171 sys 1 too lean. Checked for leaks didnt find any. Since then it has went away but coming down to idle it starts to idle creep and find proper idle, dash lights flicker for a second. But still has rough idle and misfire. I am leaning towards a injector on cyl 3. What do you guys think?

^ ^Reguardless i am going with the walbro 255 and pink injectors. It was tuned back in october but it can hurt to be retuned.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.