Waste gate

This is a discussion on Waste gate within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Is there anything I should do to my stock turbo if I'm adding an aftermarket wastegate? And will the aftermarket ...

Waste gate

Is there anything I should do to my stock turbo if I'm adding an aftermarket wastegate? And will the aftermarket wastegate give me more psi out of my stock 2005 wrx turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The spring pressure of the aftermarket unit may need to be adjusted to work with your ECU parameters, or else you can see poor boost performance (slow response, oscillations, etc).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Grimmspeed makes a block off bracket for it.

And adding an EWG won't give you more boost per say...you have to tune to increase boost. It will help to regulate correct boost parameters (as long as it's set up and adjusted correctly) from the ECU as EJ says.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Adding an EWG will not give you any more 'psi' out of the stock turbo, unless incorrectly installed.

You'll need to get your ECU retuned for it. You'll also need to block off your turbos IWG.

No offense, but judging off of your post, there is no reason at all your should be putting an EWG on your car. They are expensive, require a retune on your car, will not yield a substantial power gain for the price, and most importantly - can easily and quickly blow your engine if not installed properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

On that note, making the arm shorter by screwing it in, is a bad idea as well?

What are you trying to accomplish here?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I'm broke but want more power

Quote Originally Posted by Scottplageman View Post

You have to pay to play.

Only way you can safely add power is to either tune for it ($$$$) and go stage 1ish...or add parts that will increase power (stage 2 or more), and TUNE for those parts ($$$$$$$$$).

Unless you want to blow up your car, then sounds like you are SOL.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm broke but want more powerTapatalk
    Considering an external wastegate normally runs $500 and up for the wastegate and up-pipe... plus install time... and tuning.... I think you should probably just do some reading. Reading is pretty cheap.

Even if you were to raise your boost pressure by one means or another (adjusting your wastegate arm length probably would not help much in that department, anyhow), its a pretty awful idea. When you are running more than 14psi of boost, you better be adjusting your timing along with it.

Bottom line is that if you are broke and want more power, you need to either make more money or learn to like your car as is.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

I'm new to the turbo game, I've been wanted to get a wrx and I finally did. An now that I have it I'm lost haha I went from an 06 legacy to an 05 wrx

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm new to the turbo game, I've been wanted to get a wrx and I finally did. An now that I have it I'm lost haha I went from an 06 legacy to an 05 wrxTapatalk
    As I said - reading is free. I don't mean to come off overly abrasive, but 2.5L engines that put out 300hp aren't toys, despite what most people seem to initially assume. If treated properly, they aren't cheap. If treated improperly, they are unreliable and a small fortune.

There are some good posts around these forums. Check out some people's signatures for some good ones. Also look around for "Unabomber's Manifesto" over on NASIOC - its not a bad read or reference to get you started.
    2011 STi Build Log

Alright thanks guys, I'm gonna do a load of research before I play around in the engine bay. I'll start with my exterior first haha

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

An external wastegate will cost you at least $500, plus the cost of the tune.. and just trying to turn up the boost without tuning will blow your engine. New engines aren't exactly cheap.