Cracked CV boot Repair

This is a discussion on Cracked CV boot Repair within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So my front right CV Boot on my 2004 WRX (111,000ish Miles) is cracked and leaking. It's super expensive to ...

Cracked CV boot Repair

So my front right CV Boot on my 2004 WRX (111,000ish Miles) is cracked and leaking. It's super expensive to fix, and I don't have a ton of money- do any of you know what it entails and if it's possible for me to do it myself?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

The repairman said the axle might have to be replaced, but from what I was shown the boot was merely leaking. Unsure what that means.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbitrabbit View Post
    It's super expensive to fix, and I don't have a ton of money-
    You sure about that? My dealer replaced one with all OEM parts at the last service for less than $300. It's certainly doable yourself, but if you get nervous, it shouldn't be that bad at a dealer either. They're a wear item, so shop's do them all the time.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I was quoted around 300 Dollars. I'm 18, and that's a lot of money for me, haha. I'm not nervous about doing the work myself, if I can, I just don't actually know what would need to be done. I suppose some research is in order haha.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbitrabbit View Post
    I was quoted around 300 Dollars. I'm 18, and that's a lot of money for me, haha. I'm not nervous about doing the work myself, if I can, I just don't actually know what would need to be done.
    Did you see the links provided in response to your initial question? Inside there is a specific list of what needs to be done and with what parts and tools.

I suppose some research is in order haha.
    True.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Ah, I did not. I will look at that.

Okay, it's looking like I'm going to have to replace the whole axle. I did find this site MW Enterprises, quality remanufactured Subaru Axles in the links provided on one of the other threads- does anyone know if these are reliable and work well? I'm not inclined to pay 300 Bucks to have it fixed when I can replace it myself for half that or less.

It's much easier to replace the whole axle, but if you're worried about money just buy a boot kit and only replace the boot. It will set you back maybe $40.
    2010 WRB WRX

Yeah, thats probably what I'll end up doing, if its cheaper.

I Support ClubWRX
    $80 to do it well; $100 if you need to buy one or the other band tool (you need both styles).