2004 WRX Gasoline smell and puddle

This is a discussion on 2004 WRX Gasoline smell and puddle within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm well aware as to why I smell gasoline when my car is idling at cold temps here in PA ...

2004 WRX Gasoline smell and puddle

I'm well aware as to why I smell gasoline when my car is idling at cold temps here in PA during the winter. But well after the engine has been warmed up, I kept smelling gas. So I popped the hood. I saw that right next to my power steering pump, on the engine block, there seemed to be a puddle of gas. It's like near the passenger side intake manifold closest to the front of the car. That's what it seems like to me anyways. Definitely smelled like it to. So do any of you have any experience on this? What it might be and how to fix it? I've read that it might have something to do with my fuel rails? idk... I'm obviously frustrated right now.

Car has 130k miles on it. Still seems to drive fine. Now I'm just worried of a fire starting in the engine bay while driving.

If you need any more info, let me know!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Bump

I did a quick search online and found this "It's leaking from the two fuel lines on the right bank under the intake and manifold. If you start your car and get a flashlight, shine it just above the radiator hose connection, under the intake, you will see the two rubber lines connecting to the metal fuel rail fittings. When the car is cold, the lines contract, harden and leak under pressure. Once the car heats up the rubber expands and stops the leak. The fitting on the lines is weak and was a terrible design flaw by Subaru. The rubber has a high failure rate due to its proximity to intense engine heat over time. Remove the intake, replace the hose clamps and hoses if needed and your problem will stop."

I would check with the dealer to see if there is any recalls, this was a well known problem with 02/03 wrx's yours might fall into the 03 category since its a 2.0 liter engine.

Also here is a video http://youtu.be/UhCAyOsfPQM
    Last edited by paulsav; 01-04-2014 at 05:08 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by paulsav View Post
    I did a quick search online and found this "It's leaking from the two fuel lines on the right bank under the intake and manifold. If you start your car and get a flashlight, shine it just above the radiator hose connection, under the intake, you will see the two rubber lines connecting to the metal fuel rail fittings. When the car is cold, the lines contract, harden and leak under pressure. Once the car heats up the rubber expands and stops the leak. The fitting on the lines is weak and was a terrible design flaw by Subaru. The rubber has a high failure rate due to its proximity to intense engine heat over time. Remove the intake, replace the hose clamps and hoses if needed and your problem will stop."

I would check with the dealer to see if there is any recalls, this was a well known problem with 02/03 wrx's yours might fall into the 03 category since its a 2.0 liter engine.

Also here is a video Subaru 2004 WRX STi raw fuel smell fix. - YouTube
    Thanks, yeah I've read all this before posting, I was just curious if anyone had personal experience with this issue. I know that doing the job myself will be a major PITA and a garage will charge around $350 after it's all done. I'm currently in contact with SOA trying to see if I could get a "Good will" repair. I'll keep you all updated!

Quote Originally Posted by MisterNBG View Post
    Thanks, yeah I've read all this before posting, I was just curious if anyone had personal experience with this issue. I know that doing the job myself will be a major PITA and a garage will charge around $350 after it's all done. I'm currently in contact with SOA trying to see if I could get a "Good will" repair. I'll keep you all updated!
    Good luck Dude!! hopefully they will take care of the repair, since its not users fault and its a manufactures defect, fuel should not leak from the fuel lines.

Okay so after emailing SOA my troubles, asking about good will repairs and complaining ( a little) here was what they replied with.

"Dear Nik,

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc.

We appreciate you taking the time to share this situation with us. I am glad that you emailed us because we did not have your name on file as the current owner of this vehicle. I've updated our records so you will now be included in all of the various owner mailings. While I was making this update, I noticed that your vehicle has an open recall. It's involving the Front Lower Control Arm. Please contact your local Subaru dealer to schedule an appointment for this service.

At that time, you may want to see if they can evaluate your vehicle's fuel smell concern. I would be happy to review their findings so please feel free to let me know when your appointment is set.

Sincerely,

Kelly Shinault
    Subaru of America, Inc. "

Quote Originally Posted by MisterNBG View Post
    Okay so after emailing SOA my troubles, asking about good will repairs and complaining ( a little) here was what they replied with.

"Dear Nik,

Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc.

We appreciate you taking the time to share this situation with us. I am glad that you emailed us because we did not have your name on file as the current owner of this vehicle. I've updated our records so you will now be included in all of the various owner mailings. While I was making this update, I noticed that your vehicle has an open recall. It's involving the Front Lower Control Arm. Please contact your local Subaru dealer to schedule an appointment for this service.

At that time, you may want to see if they can evaluate your vehicle's fuel smell concern. I would be happy to review their findings so please feel free to let me know when your appointment is set.

Sincerely,

Kelly Shinault
    Subaru of America, Inc. "
    Thats a good start! Time to go to the Subaru dealership and see what they say. If they refuse, press on them saying that its a liability because your car can catch on fire and its dangerous to drive it they should take care of it.

for the control arm they test it and grease it up or something.

I had my 02 fixed with the fuel smell TSB. I took it up there and talked to them. They'll want to verify it themselves. Mine didn't do it if i was good and warmed up. It was warmed up from driving up there, they wanted me to leave it overnight.
    If they hassle you too much, tell them it smells of fuel every morning you drive and its below whatever temp you start smelling fuel at.
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build