boost issue? Maybe?

This is a discussion on boost issue? Maybe? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey guys i currently have a 2013 wrx that only has a defi boost gauge and a kartboy sts. The ...

boost issue? Maybe?

hey guys
    i currently have a 2013 wrx that only has a defi boost gauge and a kartboy sts. The temperature has plummeted here in nyc and i was driving in 10F today *according to the car*. Normally when i go WOT the boost gauge will shoot up to 16 and then taper off to approx 12 and stay there. i am told that is normal. Today when i drove i noticed that it would only shoot up to approx 14 and taper to 12 psi. Is this normal because of the extreme cold or do i have a boost leak or some other problem? the car will pass muster with the dealership so if it's not normal, i'll just go to the dealership to deal with it.
    Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Cold shouldn't reduce your boost pressure. I would check all the tubing to make sure they are all clamped down tightly (check the intercooler tubing too). It is possible you have a leak somewhere.

thank you

Surprised you were hitting 16psi originally. Thought stock was 14?

I had a large leak from the throttle bottle to the IC which is what 11blacksti is talking about. Also. Make sure she's warmed up before hitting boost.

Do you have any way to data log?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

no i don't have any way to datalog. the car was completely warmed up. *the temp garage was a hair above middle* i'll check the tubing. is there anything i have to take off to do this or can i check everything without removing anything.

I Support ClubWRX
    A visual inspection would identify any obvious loose clamps and whatnot, but if it is a small leak you might need to do a smoke test.

I Support ClubWRX
    Weather can affect boost pressure as the ECU does have boost compensations per IAT's. Whether that's your issue or not is a different story. You have the SI Drive right?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Weather can affect boost pressure as the ECU does have boost compensations per IAT's. Whether that's your issue or not is a different story. You have the SI Drive right?
    I do agree that weather could have a small impact on boost pressure, but I would think elevation would have more of an impact right? I would think what the OP is seeing is not a result of the change in weather. In theory cold air makes boost pressure go down because cold air, although more dense, has less pressure. Either way the car should be producing more power at colder temps due to more air (denser/more oxygen) entering the motor at a given altitude. OP, are you feeling like the car is having less pull at this point?