Different MAF sensor question

This is a discussion on Different MAF sensor question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Today I went to the Subaru dealer in town and tried purchasing a new MAF sensor. They said I had ...

Different MAF sensor question

Today I went to the Subaru dealer in town and tried purchasing a new MAF sensor.

They said I had to either purchase the entire air flow kit or I could purchase a different sensor (looked exactly the same in every way) for a different model of Subaru, yet it was also a turbo and an Impreza.

I went with the different sensor because it was like $200-250 cheaper. It fixed the problem; is it okay to use a different model sensor or do I want to purchase the complete kit for the original sensor?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Why did they say you needed to buy a different sensor?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Why did they say you needed to buy a different sensor?
    I bought another sensor because my CEL was on and whenever I disconnected the sensor and reconnected it the CEL would flick out which was a clear indication that it was a problem to do with the MAF sensor.

I went to the Subaru dealership and they gave me two options.

Purchase the sensor for your model car and include the air flow kit (included air intake manifolds etc) for ~$350.

Or I could purchase a sensor which looked exactly the same, same adapter configuration but it was without the intake manifolds for ~$150.

I'm not sure whether or not down the track it will be incompatible or not, just a bit wary about it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks but my question was whether they stated a reason why you had to buy a sensor for a different car.

Since the sensor works there is nothing to fix.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.