Subbie hates life at idle/ maybe not firing on all 4 all the time...

This is a discussion on Subbie hates life at idle/ maybe not firing on all 4 all the time... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I just picked up an 02 WRX from a dealer up in St. Cloud, Minnesota as is and of ...

Subbie hates life at idle/ maybe not firing on all 4 all the time...

So I just picked up an 02 WRX from a dealer up in St. Cloud, Minnesota as is and of course it's got some issues. Hopefully you guys can help guide me in what to look for.

Problem:

Idles down around 500 but surges and doesn't seem to be hitting on all cylinders. Give it some revs and it smoothes out a bit but I think there is still a miss. (Been so long since I drove a flat 4 that I can't tell the difference between a miss and unequal length headers >.< )

To go along with this, as you are driving the CEL turns on, then flashes, then goes solid, then turns off, and then mix up and repeat as I drive. I was able to pull the codes once and they were all for cylinder misfires.

So far I have cleaned the MAF and checked for vacuum leaks. Cleaning the MAF made no noticeable difference. I do have an exhaust leak at the passenger side cylinder head from a poor sealing header gasket. I am going to try replacing that gasket and hopefully solving the leak. The exhaust on this car does seem pretty messed up (up-pipe is welded onto the header at the collector with what appears to be a homemade contraption).

Lots of variables and having trouble finding where to start.

Current Mod List (from what I can tell):

STi top mount I/C
    Catless bellmouth downpipe (3")
    3" resonated mid pipe
    3" pipe going into a stockish appearing muffler.
    Aftemarket header w/ up-pipe welded on
    Turbo (Couldn't see any markings on the front of the coldside and think I saw tri-diamonds on the rear hotside)
    Aftermarket clutch (stiffer pedal)
    Perrin short shifter
    Triple pillar gauge pod with Prosport gauges
    Fuel pressure (not working)
    Oil Pressure (not working)
    Boost (works!)

That's all that I have found/can make out.

I'm open to suggestions/advice/flameage as I really am a noob when it comes to the boosted Subbies.

Thanks again in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Congrats on you new project car!

I've got a bugeye too. It had some minor issues when I got it too.

If it's different cylinders misfiring(all?), it could be a grounding issue. Check all the grounds that run to the block.

I'd also check to make sure all the coil packs are on there good and working.

It wouldn't hurt to check the plugs too if you don't know how old they are.
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build

Quote Originally Posted by pete25r View Post
    Congrats on you new project car!

I've got a bugeye too. It had some minor issues when I got it too.

If it's different cylinders misfiring(all?), it could be a grounding issue. Check all the grounds that run to the block.

I'd also check to make sure all the coil packs are on there good and working.

It wouldn't hurt to check the plugs too if you don't know how old they are.
    Thanks man! I was always a fan of the bugeyes. I had an 02 RS in 2010 and had a guy rear end me on the highway about a year ago. I've been wanting one ever since but a WRX this time and I found one I could afford and of course it's got its quirks

Yes I was pulling codes for cylinder misfires for 1-4.

I will check grounds and grit my teeth and check coil packs and plugs tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice. I am also working on uploading a video to Youtube to better show what I am talking about which will probably help more than my description

Here is a video to try and better show my problem.

Did the quick carb clean vacuum test. Couldn't find anything. Next step is changing fuel filter and checking plugs.