Engine/boost sputter when accelerating hard
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Engine/boost sputter when accelerating hard within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello all, I am having the following issues : When accelerating in gears 3-5, the engine seems to sputter, as ...

Engine/boost sputter when accelerating hard

Hello all,

I am having the following issues :

When accelerating in gears 3-5, the engine seems to sputter, as well, I can see the boost levels dipping while this is happening. My friend who was driving behind me said that he seen it backfire. The whole car jerks, sometimes really noticeable, other times its very subtle.

This is a new car to me, it is a 2002 WRX with 266000 kms. Previous owner did timing belt at 180000kms as well as a pro-tune, and complete turbo-back exhaust.

I have not done any testing as I do not have any equipment for it at the moment. I will check for CEL's when I can.

Also, another problem I have, is the car's ABS was turned off, the previous owner bought it that way and has no idea how it was turned off.

If anyone can give me any insight, that will be fantastic.

PS. I have been looking around for the issues on the forums, but no issues like mine?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do you know what tuner they used?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

No idea. I was told they went to a professional tuner.

Bump

It seems to happen when I have over 10psi boost. Could it be a turbo issue?

Remove and resecure all your IC pipes with new clamps and check them for cracks. You will need to remove them from the car to perform this properly. It sounds like you have a loose connection or a possible crack in one of your hoses which is opening when you hit a certain boost level. This will cause the exact symptoms you are seeing. Also, inspect your spark plugs and as others said, address the tune if none of the above work (white plugs = lean, brown or darker = rich).

Good luck!
    Last edited by chris410; 01-07-2014 at 01:32 PM.
    Chris
    '14 WRX Crystal Black/SPT CBE/Tuned by Torqued Performance

You mean spark plugs, right chris410?

Quote Originally Posted by omfg5041 View Post
    You mean spark plugs, right chris410?
    Correct, I added a little more detail about the spark plugs. He will be able to get a better idea on how his car is running by reading them. If they look as though the car is running lean, I would highly suggest having it tuned ASAP.

However, from the description, the IC pipe inpsection is a good starting point. Hopefully, it is an easy fix.
    Chris

Would it be worth upgrading the Intercooler if it is the piping that is broken? or just upgrade the hoses?

Check to see if the fuse for the ABS was pulled.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by omfg5041 View Post
    Would it be worth upgrading the Intercooler if it is the piping that is broken? or just upgrade the hoses?
    That would be up to you, just replacing the hoses (if they need to be replaced) would be enough.
    Chris

Replacing the intercooler would be pointless if you don't have any other mods, or plan on getting tuned for it anyway.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    How hard are we talking? Real hard...or just mehh hard. Like how hard? Really really hard?

Have you cleaned your MAF? Probably not the problem, but it wouldn't hurt. I like to start with easy fixes first.

wreckingball man, do you mean the sputtering jerking?

Miggs, no I have not. I will be doing a big maintenance/repair job on it on monday, so I will try that then.

I cannot wait to rip apart my entire rear end to replace the gas tank, brake lines, and replace my front axel... woohoo...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast