Troubleshooting a chronicly problematic WRX

This is a discussion on Troubleshooting a chronicly problematic WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've come to see if anyone could give me suggestions or ideas on how to fix the problem my WRX ...

Troubleshooting a chronicly problematic WRX

I've come to see if anyone could give me suggestions or ideas on how to fix the problem my WRX is having. It's an automatic 02 wagon with around 190,000 miles on it. A little while ago it was causing more trouble (see this post here 02 WRX lean codes and misfire problem for details on that), and after some trial and error (and taking it to a guy) it was fixed. There was an air leak from the injector seals, the coil packs were ragged and going, and the ECU had a tune on it from the previous owner. Apparently he had bigger injectors, the short ram, and who knows what else on it then got it tuned. When he sold it he returned it back to stock but never changed the tune back. With all of that fixed the car ran just fine, for a little while, before problems returned. It started by just running a bit rough sometimes. Then it started giving misfires. Then it would start up weak, limp out of the driveway, then drive fine down the road with the occasional misfire. Those occasional misfires turned to reduced performance and a flashing check engine light one night while out driving. Now it's misfiring like crazy, and it won't really run. It starts up, but the check engine light flashes constantly, and when you try to drive it the pedal just goes to the floor with very little throttle response. It just falls on its face, barely rising above idle while crawling along the ground. All in all between the last problem and this current one we've replaced the spark plugs, coil packs (with <25,000 mi ones), fuel filter, MAF/IAT, and front O2/AFR sensor. We took the short ram off of it and put the stock airbox back on it as well as returning the computer back to the stock tune. The entire car is stock aside from the catless downpipe, and I always run it on 93 octane fuel. It's passed a vacuum leak test and passed a compression test on all four cylinders. We're running out of ideas. I'd love to keep taking it back to my mechanic as a last resort due to cost, so any ideas or opinions y'all may be able to give me would be greatly appreciated. If any more info is needed about the car or situation I can try to put it up here.
    Last edited by techguy13; 12-30-2013 at 03:02 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Check and clean all grounds in the engine compartment.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

charging system and battery checked? +1 on ground check and clean also