Couple of questions after boost leak test

This is a discussion on Couple of questions after boost leak test within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey, I just did a boost leak test and have a couple of questions. 1st, are the IC top couples ...

Post Couple of questions after boost leak test

Hey, I just did a boost leak test and have a couple of questions. 1st, are the IC top couples known for leaking at the gaskets? I have a massive leak under there and it's hard to pinpoint the location.

Also, I noticed a plastic holder for a hose of some sort but I do not know for what. Can you identify it?

P.S. The stock intercooler piping is one of the worst design I have seen. Samco piping is on my list for sure.

Thanks.
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
    2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Boost leaks suck. That's just the reality. I like the samco hoses for sure, but many upgraded ICs (like the sweet PW TMIC on mine ) come with them. So if you plan to upgrade you might wanna wait and save $150. Start with all of the basic clamps, check for tightness and fitament as well. Also, the crappy rigid hoses on the stock TMIC are known to crack, and the holes are very hard to find unless you pull everything off and inspect. On a simple stage 2 OTS tune I blew a dime size hole on my 02 wagon while playing in the snow. There is rarely a leak at the bpv gasket. Another common ailment is the vacuum lines. Google a diagram, follow to boost controller to IC. I also had a leak there on the 02 wrx. I simply replaced all lines for roughly $1-$2, you can get the hose at autozone for cheap. Be careful not to lose the restrictor pill! If so you will be like me buying one for like $15...and hitting like 5psi until then lol. There are threads on this forum for making a homemade boost leak detector, but if you take the time to look you will generally fix the problem one way or another. Good luck!

Thanks. I already have a boost leak tester for my SRT-4. I just had to add a 2" to 3" coupler to it so it would fit the WRX's inlet. Worked great, that's how I found the leak at the BPV gasket. The problem is detecting leaks under the IC. But I will grab a Samco anyways (I don't plan on upgrading the IC or the turbo).

Any idea about the hose holder in the picture?
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
    2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4

Not 100% on that one. is there a line near it that fits it and has no home? its possible that the previous owner trimmed a line and now its too short. Look for a naked nipple on the case...could be a simple vent to atmosphere breather thats simply gone.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    There's tons of places in the intake where it could leak and they're all popular places. Just replace the gaskets lol.

Samco hoses are nice, I've had the Ancillary, Intercooler, and Radiator hoses for about 70k miles now. Good quality and are still in great condition.

Well I'll be damed. This picture of a stock looking engine has that same clip not holding anything either:

I guess it might be a byproduct of some other application, auto tranny maybe. Who knows.
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
    2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4