Random vibration from front passengerís side [stock STi suspension]

This is a discussion on Random vibration from front passengerís side [stock STi suspension] within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 2008 STi, stock suspension, 40k miles. This has happened to me about 8 times in the last 500 miles. It ...

Random vibration from front passengerís side [stock STi suspension]

2008 STi, stock suspension, 40k miles. This has happened to me about 8 times in the last 500 miles. It is intermittent, not something I can reproduce at will.

While driving at highway speed, a vibration will start in the front passenger side of the car. It is a significant vibration; it almost feels like the wheel has come loose.

Each time this happens I stop the car and check the wheels, tires, air pressure, lugnuts, and everything is snug. The weird thing is, when I start driving again, the vibration is GONE.

Somehow bringing the car to a complete stop, then starting again makes the problem go away.

Other than this problem randomly appearing, the suspension seems fine.

The dealer had the car on the lift, checked the suspension, and couldnít find anything. They suggested that the next time it happens, to stop the car and see if a particular wheel is hot (indicating a caliper binding). No dice, all the wheels were nice and cool the last time it happened.

Any idea what this could be?

The car is actually at the shop right now waiting for a new long block, so I could have them take another look.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Tire balance
    Alignment
    Axle
    Brakes
    My last guess, assuming you've covered the above: Differentials or the Viscous Coupling

Alignment: take it to a shop, convince them to check it for free.

tire balancing: steering wheel will shake, especially at hwy speed, shop can check it but will likely charge for this.

Axle: check for play, look for a ripped boot or turquiose grease in the area.

Diffs: Drive tight figure eights in a parking lot and listen for grinding/shaking.

Viscous Coupling: Hard grinding that escalates to a hard combo of grinding/shaking/jarring that feels like the wheel is about to rip off.

Keep us updated.